Reloading...

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

@Zeek how are your 308 rounds doing?

Anyone have a recipe for 300 blackout? Sub or super.

T-Bone and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Thanks for asking. They're doing great... they just sit in boxes, don't seem to bother anyone, don't take up too much room either.

3. Strigidae

Funny man. Grab that kid and go shoot those trail boss loads. For science.

Datilite, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'll make it happen.:D Actually I'm hoping to go crazy over the long 4th of July weekend... shoot a few thousand rounds. First one in three years my boy will be at home.

Datilite, Theodore and Strigidae like this.
  5. Strigidae

Outstanding!!!!!

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

I am also hoping to get my brother over for a day or two. One thing I've always wanted to try was some precision shooting from a bench and/or prone with a guy(s) on one side of me or both sides of me dumping AR mags.

Datilite, Strigidae and Theodore like this.
  7. Strigidae

Get in the bubble and youll be fine.

Datilite and Theodore like this.
  8. mlrs

mlrs Member

I reload for .380, .45acp, .38, .357, .243, .3006, and 20 gauge with Lee equipment. I reload for .410 with a MEC JR.

mlrs

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

On my last trip away I managed to put my .308Win loads (165Nosler BT) over the chrono and am getting a mean MV of 2590FPS, that said I had shot a bunch of critters with them before I put them over the chrono and they work nicely so the MV was a little moot beyond working out more accurate holdovers. The .300Win with 180s is getting just shy of 2900FPS.

Zeek likes this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Member

180s in the .300 win Nosler BT too?

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Nosler BT and Accubond. They have the same external dimensions and BC. All my experiments (though not exhaustive) show they load and shoot the same but obviously perform differently on impact.

Zeek likes this.
  12. Lockster

Lockster Member

Zeek, I'd be very interested in the feedback on your Trailboss loads, I'm planning to do something similar.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Zeek

Zeek Member

No problem... don't think it will be for a couple more weeks though.

Datilite and Theodore like this.
  14. Blake G

Blake G Member

I'm having good luck with the Nosler 125 gr Ballistic Tip and 19 gr of H110 fired off by a CCI SR primer - I'm shooting them out of an H&R AAC Handi-Rifle with an old Redfield 2-7 on it and it shoots cloverleafs at 50m and about an inch at 100m when I do my part. I've also had good performance out of my 165 gr cast FNGC over 6 gr of Trailboss for a plinker/short range varmint eradicator...

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Good to know... thanks

16. Strigidae

H110 seems to be the consistent powder used. Ill have to pick some up.

T-Bone and Zeek like this.
  17. Strigidae

Anyone had any luck with the sierra TMK?

Zeek likes this.
  18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I reloaded a lot until about 25 years ago. I had progressive presses for 12 and 20 and loaded rifle rounds in a RCBS. About that time I started getting sponsored and gave my stuff away. Now that I am retired I have been purchasing 6.5 Creedmoor and other rifle rounds. I recently got a wild hair and purchased a .338 Lapua....yikes. I am on the fence about getting rid of it or getting the dies. I do need to get some Creedmoor dies but the Lapua is an expensive proposition any way you look at it. The longest range we have is 1200 yards and the Creedmoor should handle that easily. The only reason I wanted it was that I could likely hear the hits on steel better. I have a great scope on the Creedmoor and am waiting for a suppressor. To outfit the Lapua with those items would be about 3500$, more than a retired man wants to spend!

koolaidnd likes this.
  19. Strigidae

I have a buddy in the same boat. Sell or keep. Its a great round with lots of potential but damn its expensive.

KMCMICHAEL likes this.
  20. T-Bone

T-Bone Member

Oh man this is a great tread! Whats up guys, so I have been reloading for about 9 years now. My reloading equipment is pretty simple and basic. I reload on a single stage lee anniversary press with lee dies and a bench priming tool. I am using a Hornady LNL powder measure, Hornady cases trimmer, and Hornady 3 tool case prep tool. I use a RCBS rangemaster 750 scale. I reload 45 acp, 10mm, 40, 223, 308 and 300 Blackout.

Hey Strigidae I have had the most luck loading 300 Blackout with H110 powder. So far I have only made super sonic rounds. I am using a homebuilt aero precision AR with a 16" blackhole weaponry barrel with a carbine length gas system and 1:8.5 twist with polygonal 3 groove rifling. The rifle is topped off with a vortex 1-4x24 crossfire 2 scope, so nothing crazy glass wise. I make my own blackout brass from once fired 5.56 cases and trim them to a 1.355" case length. I use the CCI #400 small rifle primers and have had great success with the 110 grain Hornady V-max, Barnes 110 grain Tac-tx FB, and the Sierra 110 grain HP Varminter projectiles. I tried using IMR 4227 powder but they shot very inconsistently out of my gun. I also tried using 150 grain Hornady SST's and 168 grain Hornady BTHP Match projectiles but my barrel loves the lighter projectiles. Here are my recipes for the blackout.

110 grain Hornady V-max with 19.4 grains of H110, CCI #400 primer, a slight crimp with a COAL of 2.040"

110 grain Barnes Tac-TX solid copper, 19.4 grains of H110, CCI # 400, a slight crimp with a COAL of 2.250"

110 grain Sierra Varminter HP, and again 19.4 grains of H110, CCI #400, a slight crimp with a COAL of 1.970"

If you couldn't tell my rifle loves 110 grain projectiles with 19.4 grains of H110 pushing them.

Here was the results from a 5 shot group at 100 yards off a lead sled with the V-max recipe. I was very pleased with the results as I am just an average Joe shooter. Let me know if you guys want any more of my load data from any of the other calibers I load up. Have a good one fellas!

20160702_183231-1.jpg 20160702_183242.jpg

JV3, Zeek and Strigidae like this.