Reloading...

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I would prefer the 150 ;) I have had great results with the BTs !!

2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah... I had some crazy fantasy a couple weeks back about the 125gr ABs but after sitting down and comparing the velocity and energy tables it didn't really make too much sense.

3. Andy the Aussie

I figured you would get to that.

Zeek likes this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Next up... the 208gr Hornady Amax (on the right) compared to the Nolser 150gr Ballistic Tip (on the left). Just because I have them and some Hodgdon CFE223 powder thats supposed to give them a good push. I like the sound of big chunks of lead hitting steel.:D
    tmp_19343-20170117_192000-1137688035.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Strigidae likes this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Very disappointed today. I attempted to load the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag bullets for my Ruger Redhawk 45Colt/45ACP. Both Hornady and Hodgdon spec this bullet for their 'Ruger only' load with an overall cartridge length equal to 1.65" Well at that length the cartridges will not chamber in the cylinder. Seems like the bullet's ogive is hitting the throat. The cartridge is too long for the cylinder and it will not seat all the way. When I seat the bullet deeper for an overall length of 1.58", it goes in the cylinder all the way but then the bullet is seated too deep in the case below the cannelure so I can't put a crimp on it and it restricts case capacity. Now I am just not sure if this is something unique to the Redhawk 45 Colt/45ACP cylinder or if the problem is the profile of the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag bullet. I know Hornady makes a 300gr XTP non Mag version with 2 cannelures. I wonder if it has a different profile (ogive) allowing it to be seated shallower. Actually I would really like to try some 300+gr hard cast bullets but would have to special order them. Anyway, if this doesn't work out I am going to trade the Redhawk in and buy something else...:(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. Andy the Aussie

......what twist rate does your rifle have ? OK for 200gn pills ?

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

It's for my Tikka CTR. Twist rate is 1:11, maybe it's borderline? I loaded 50 of them today... don't plan to hunt with them. They're just for plinking.

8. Zeek

Zeek Member

@Andy the Aussie do you reload for handguns? What do you think of my 45 colt Redhawk situation? Any words of wisdom?

9. Andy the Aussie

Probably boarderline, my SSG is 1:10 I think and it works to 190 (maybe 200 but I have only loaded 190s).

I do reload handgun but have not hit the issue you have. You don't need to crimp into a cannelure to be secure but how much are you compressing the charge ? No direct experience with 45LC (.44M and never struck the issue). In .44M I never felt the need to go over 240gns.

10. Zeek

Zeek Member

Only loaded two rounds as I was checking them to make sure they would seat properly. Not even close to a compressed load. I started near the min of 17gr of Lil'gun. Max load is 20.2 grains. I actually pushed one of the the bullets deeper to a COL of 1.58" and shot it off the back deck without a problem.

11. Andy the Aussie

I think you would be fine then seating them accordingly and crimp on the jacket.

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Next up... is a 308 'cowboy load' using Hodgdon's Trail Boss powder. I'm using the Sierra's 150 gr flat nose "30-30" bullet #2000. Resulting muzzle velocity will be just over the speed of sound at around around 1200fps. I'm hoping to get my girl interested in shooting with these off the back deck. There should be zero recoil.:) Left to right:
    150gr Nosler Balistic Tip, 208gr Hornady AMAX, Sierra 150gr Flat Nose.
    tmp_15175-20170122_182249-1105630506.jpg

13. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah... then I'll be limited in case capacity. I guess I'm trying to push the boundaries of this cartridge. That's why I'm considering trading it in on something like a 454 Casull.

14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

What are y'all using on hogs?

I've got a hunt coming up and was looking at Hornady Full Boar which is the GMX bullet and wondering if y'all have used that on boar? It's a .308.

15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Sh!t.. I'm way too far north for hogs.
    That's a 165gr bullet I think and tuff. I'm sure it's near the top of the list. I bet anything 150gr or more in the 308 will work fine... it's all bullet placement after that.

16. Zeek

Zeek Member

Forget the 308... take some cleaver throwing lessons from @RedEyedHog !!!

RedEyedHog likes this.
  17. Expat

The bullet is just to slow them down long enough for @RedEyedHog to finish them off.

He's not very good on things that are moving :)

RedEyedHog and Zeek like this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

I am presently running 165 Ballistic Tip in my .308 on hogs/deer (Black Fallow, Chital and Reds) but 150s should work just as well. I have killed more hogs than I could possibly count with the Winchester 150gn SP factory loading along with another whole bunch with Aussie surplus F4 FMJ with the tip snipped off... ;)

Zeek likes this.
  19. Expat

The ones I'm looking at are 165 gr

20. Andy the Aussie

If your rifle like them I have no doubt they will knock the happy off any hog.