recycling non functioning LED lights into something that actually works

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

long story......these two Fenix TK70 flashlights run on high capacity 10,000 mAH NIMH batteries (4 each light).

INSANE long throw, 2200 lumens for over 1 Hour 50 min. Decent flood too. Basically a long reach search light.

except every single one out of the factory fugged up. Got mine warranteed 3 times. Finally the shipping costs to send the lights back got to be around $100 plus. So i said **** it. $275 CDN each light plus all the postage and shipping supplies for the warranty returns.........Fenix dropped the ball on this light and the warranty program.,

So i turned the battery tubes into IP68 waterproof survival tubes. Used the end cap from each light, a main battery tube and the two extension tubes. (if i had two more end caps i could make another sealed tube) . Izula2 for scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Damn I like this. Sucks you had to sacrifice some night lighting to do it, but if it wasn't working anyway!

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

If you look at the grooves towards the ends of the tubes , I plan to wrap fishing line , Kevlar thread, brass snare line, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

matches, flints, tops firesteel (not shown) all secured in one end with easy pull plug

[​IMG]

other end has about 200 PJCB fire tinders and 1 WetFire tinder, sealed in with vinyl end cap

[​IMG]

this was about 100 cotton balls, dry. I was able to stuff 200 in after squishing petroleum jelly into then and compressing in a baggie.

[​IMG]

3/4" rare earth magnet fits PERFECTLY in the recess at the bottom. Held in with a piece of tape and snug foam disc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

on the outside is a retrieval magnet (rare earth, attached via magnetism to the inner magnet

[​IMG]

center tube holds a 47's ti CR123 multi mode long runtime (low beacon mode) light, and a whistle, and a bunch of waterpur tabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'll admit, its much eaiser to organize stuff in a rectangular tin than a tube. And there is a lot missing in the tube, survival gear wise, but i didn't want to just throw the tubes out.

while this was a fun and (expensive, both lights retail price plus shipping three times for warranty = around $600 CDN) recycling try out, (the lights were broken and just taking up space.........) i will most likely just use the tubes for storing LOTS of PJCB firestarters and a couple of ferro rods. Or as a storage tube for my trip line security system

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Klynesquatch and Dagwood like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Dude I'm digging this. It's perfect for a car or a boat. Or anywhere that moisture could be a concern.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    This is a great idea. Might do something similar with pvc or cpvc as those could be glued shut and made waterproof. Think they would float as well.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

You should have lit all the PJCBs when they were in there! Open the bottom and add a fan for air though. :D

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I saw a thread on the Kubota forums where a guy kept spare chains and tools in a PVC pipe that fit perfectly in his front end loader cross-member (it was a round metal pipe between the arms) and the screw on end caps fit just right so it wouldn't slide out.

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. Theo

Theo Member

Nice re-purposing Bushy!

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

good ideas

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

had another led light that failed and got screwed on the warranty...

NiteCore CaveMan 800 lumens, 4 or 8 AA primaries or NIHM rechargeable's. I bought it about 3 years ago because i likes the AA format and the over 750 hours runtime on LOW. The beam pattern was beautiful , long range yet floody.

well it crapped out and i got screwed on the warranty.

[​IMG]

So tonight i cut it up. Cut the head right off and filed down the battery tube flush. Capped it off with a Fenix plastic cap that came on an fenix accessory. Still need to pour epoxy in the capped end to seal it waterproof, but now i have a bad ass 8 x AA battery carrier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Scrap and Spikebot587 like this.