Recurve for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by C99c, Jun 25, 2019.

1. C99c

C99c Member

There's a public access archery range near my college. Also, lots of public land where I can just go and shoot.

I've been wanting to play around with archery for awhile now because, well, useful skills are useful. Plus, the limited shooting I've done in the past has been fun. Now I'll have some time to kill during the week and plenty of places to practice.

I'm looking for a good recurve for a beginner. Would love to stay at or around $50 if possible. Used is fine. Telling me to just go grab something from a big box store is fine.

I welcome any suggestions, criticism, insults, cowboy and Indian jokes, etc.

@Mountainmistwanderer

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Mountainmistwanderer and Zeek like this.
  2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I will get back to you on this. Busy at work right now.

C99c and Zeek like this.
  3. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Sorry for the long delay but I forgot to respond with work being so overwhelming. For $50 your best chance is on the secondary market. You should invest in a takedown/ 3 piece bow. This will give you the ability to swap out limbs to different weights so what is most important is to get the correct sized riser for your size and draw length. 3riversarchery.com is a good online store but ain't nothing better than supporting the local shop.

Zeek, C99c, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm going to poke around a couple of the localish shops as time allows. I'll likely have more questions in the future.