Recommend me a watch........

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

My Mother and I laid my Father to rest with his best suit and the wrist watch he has worn since he was a teen. I would have loved to have been willed that watch, but it was my Moms wish that he be laid to rest with it. Thats ok.

So recommend me a watch. Non Digital....analogue only. MUST be waterproof - no exceptions. Extremely Rugged, some features ok, i prefer simple though. I'm partial to tritium illumination, NOT glow in the dark powder epoxy numbers.........

no idea on budget yet. I plan to use my signing bonus from the new trucking company in a few months to purchase a watch.

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. Mudman

Mudman Member

Sorry to hear about your father.

Budget is a huge factor. For me, if I was shopping for watches I'd like to have with me until the end (if I could afford it) would be a Grand Seiko variant at the very top of the list. After that would be anything from Panerai, Omega Seamaster, Something from Doxa, or Sinn.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

my dream watch is the Rolex Explorer...........is there something similar.......beer, good whiskey budget??????

4. Mudman

Mudman Member

Then go for that? Save up more if you have to. My current prized watch (that I own) is a Seiko Tuna can. It gains 3-8 seconds over the course of 7 months. I've had the watch for 5 years I think, and it's been that consistent. Not sure what kind of sorcery is inside it, but I've yet to have any other watches that acurrate- including non atomic digital watches.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I had a Luminox that I couldn’t kill! Was pretty nice and very rugged. The tritium was an awesome feature.

6. Pilot

Pilot Member

It all depends on your budget. If you want to spend $$$, a watch with a mechanical, automatic movement from Rolex, Omega, Sinn, Fortis, and other European makers would be my recommendation. The Grand Seikos, and other Seikos are also superb, and vary greatly in pricing. If you have a lower budget there are many excellent micro brands out today that use Swiss ETA, and Japanese Seiko, and Miyota movements which are also excellent, but less expensive. I have watches from both the European makers, and micros with ETA, Seiko, and Miyota movements. I am VERY impressed with the Japanese movements, and the value they represent. If you want water resistance, and durability, get a DIVE watch.

A good entry level, gateway watch is the Seiko SKX007, or 009 dive style, automatic watch, or an Orient Mako, or Ray. They often lead to many others if you get the bug. :)

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I have a timex explorer that I bought 10 years ago for $30 not a scratch on the glass, never replaced the battery, glow and light going strong. Goes with me everywhere. It’s a tank. Plus no real budget needed.

jbs121s and Bushman5 like this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Isnt there a blue something that makes a decent watch at a nicer price?

9. DirtySouth

DirtySouth Member

Sub $500 I think a man would be hard pressed to find anything nicer than a Steinhart, but that's just my opinion. I love my Ocean One Vintage Red.

Sub $200, I'd look at a Seiko 007, 009, 173, etc....

Now if I wasn't a cheap a$*, I'd jump on a Rolex Explorer II, Tudor, or Omega offerings, but I have two daughters who I hope to help out with school when they get older so I stay under the $500 price point with watches.

Attached Files:

Pilot likes this.
  10. Pilot

Pilot Member

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Mil, and Vintage Red are some of the micros I was thinking about. Also, Deep Blue, Helson, Boschett, Renzo, etc. There are many, many good mechanical watches for not a lot of money.

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Pilot

Pilot Member

Yes, Deep Blue, and others mentioned above.

Bushman5, artigas and Strigidae like this.
  12. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yup. Love mine.

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. Acrown

Acrown Member

Seiko SKX007. I have one that I wear whenever I go in the woods. It isn't fancy and won't break the bank. On a NATO strap it fits snug and is not overly heavy. The lume is very bright and lasts well into the night. It is mechanical so no need to ever worry about batteries.

I also have a Luminox Navy SEAL that is at least 15 years old. I had to have the battery replaced a few times and the tritium pieces fell out of the second hand but were easily fixed by a local watch smith. It is a great watch and is bomb proof but i wear the Seiko over it most of the time.

Strigidae, Bushman5 and Hammer like this.
  14. olderguy

olderguy Member

I bought an MTM Special Ops watch 15 years ago because I just wanted a good quality watch at least once in my life. Rechargeable,rugged adjustable watch band,backlight,bright map reading light,locking stem. Ran me about $450 but I've never regretted buying it.https://www.specialopswatch.com/products-page/

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I do not know how things are now but I have had a Omega Seamaster for 20 years. It is probably worth more now than what I payed.

Acrown likes this.
  16. Acrown

Acrown Member

F7CB2B5E-24C1-4AA5-9935-C6DA28B538C1.jpeg
    I have a Seamaster and I absolutely love it.

Pilot, Bushman5, dhunley1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rich275

Rich275 Member

18. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I like the maratac county comm watches. Very classic look and I like changing the bands out. Suunto makes some good outdoor watches. I've had the observer for 15 years or so. If you want to go high end, ball (your on the balll) or omega. My dad always swore by tag but a little to fancy for my taste.

19. JV3

JV3 Member

seiko orange monster and rolex submariner are the only ones i’d wear :)

20. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

If I were in the market for something at this time, I'd give these guys a look for sure. https://reduxwatch.com/

Many other good brands/options recommended above too. I've got a couple cheaper (<$300) Seiko automatics and they are great, for the money.