Rain Gear Recs

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Kevo, May 31, 2019.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

Hey guys! What do you all use for rain gear? Right now I've got a light columbia rain shell and some really cheap rain pants from Bass pro. They're both a little old so I'm thinking of upgrading before my next trip out. I was just checking out Cabelas Rainy River paclite gortex top and bottom a few minutes ago on their site. Anyone try these before? Any other recommendations?

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I like ponchos, switched to the wilderness innovations poncho. It’s also a hammock, chair and shelter. He also makes a nice insulated liner that buttons to the inside. I really like it.

Kevo likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

I like the option there. Having not worn a poncho in years, how would it work out on a boat?

BlueDogScout likes this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You could keep it mostly unsnapped to help it drape but have it snapped to let you paddle

Kevo likes this.
  5. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I live in the PNW, few kilometers from the rainiest spot in North America (no joke), so rain gear pretty much makes up the entirety of my outer layers for half the year or so.

I really like both Arcteryx and Outdoor Research. OR's Foray jacket is one of my favorite rain jackets for everything except hardcore bushwhacking, where the lighter paclite goretex might not hold up so well. For that, I use an issued Arcteryx Patrol Alpha jacket.

For pants, depending on the situation, sometimes I just wear my normal 5.11 Taclites with knee high OR Crocodile gators. Paired with my goretex lined Salomon Quest boots, I'm pretty much waterproof up to the knees, barring sustained submersion.

For heavy rain, I have a pair of OR Apollo pants which are roomy enough to put on over top of my 5.11's, and light enough to carry with me.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I get soaking wet in the woods and I dont care.

I do have a poncho but find its a death sentence if i go onto any trails that are not old logging roads. Not being able to see the immediate ground in front of my feet can mean a snapped ankle, or broken leg or serious fall.

Jeremiah Jones, Willow and Kevo like this.
  7. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I try to stay out of the rain as much as possible.

That being said, Frog Toggs work well for me, but I can’t say I’ve ever pushed them too far.

Kevo likes this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

Well guys I ended up going with the gtx paclites from cabelas for the boat. I am still on the hunt for a sturdier pair of rain pants for SAR detail. Thankfully we are issued 3 season jackets so I'm only responsible for keeping the lower half dry myself.

9. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

What ever you do don't look at Sitka, First Lite, or Kuiu.

Kevo likes this.