R.A.T teams scariest moments?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by rabid foxhound, Mar 6, 2018.

1. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

A question for the R.A.T team.
    Through your journeys through south america and on courses/ expeditions held, what are your worst encounters/experiences/ pant staining moments?

2. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Jeff and Mike should have a few stories. For me personally I have been very fortunate since I began heading to the jungle in 2011. Nothing really stands out as "scary". Just minor hiccups here and there that is all just a part of being in a third world country.

3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I don't know if I'm on the RAT team or not, but this one time in Colombia, the pilot couldn't get the plane on the ground. We were trying to land in Pasto, which at the time was guerrilla controlled territory. It's way down in the southern part of the country, near the Equator. The airport is on the top of this mountain. Come in too low and you face plant the mountain. Come in too high and you fall off the other side before you can get stopped. We were bouncing around like crazy, the pilot tried several passes and couldn't get it down. Then we tried from the other direction and he couldn't do it. When I heard in his voice that he was scared, I pretty much gave up. We were running out of gas but we limped over to Cali and finally landed.

Jeff can tell you about the time I went screaming from a building in El Salvador during an earthquake.

And then there was this time I was lobster diving at midnight in the ocean a few hundred yards off the north shore of San Juan and came face to face with a shark bigger than me.

And one time in Romania, I had to drive on one of those roads you see that is wide enough for 95% of your truck and there's no guardrail and a 1 mile drop on the side. The driver had gotten drunk and couldn't even stand up. I didn't know where we were and I was driving some old Russian truck of some sort with a 1 candlepower headlight in the middle of the night.

Sometimes, to make it through these things, you just gotta already believe you're dead and just make the best of it.

One time Jeff and I chased an MS-13 assassin through some market in San Salvador for reasons that escape both of us now.

4. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Of course you're on the team. It's your jet we are usually flying in anyway. Good stuff Expat. My third world stories are "well we got rained on and bug bit...".

5. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

Seemed like a good idea at the time?

Mike Smith and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Sounds like a book.

7. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

No joke, I would buy an Expat sticker if it came with a book you wrote about 3rd world adventures.

8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I'm the newest to the team and have never been to South America so I have ZERO stories about that....

I have been a cyclist for over 30+ years....raced both Mountain and Road bikes for a number of years...hit by a cars 4 separate occasions...One of those was more scary than the others...my worst actually didn't involve a car but a CHOW...at 30+ mph...resulting in skull fractures and amnesia....but that one doesn't scare me bc I don't remember it or a few days after..

I was also a whitewater kayaker for 20+ years and experienced a few "mulligans" there...one vertical pin and one pinned by a raft, upside down, on the bottom of the river...

Having grown up somewhat of an adrenalin junky I feel very blessed and fortunate to be on this good earth. Getting married and having 2 sons tamed a LOT of that urge for risk taking...

9. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I was looking through pics the other day and saw a picture of one of those guys we caught up to in the market. Sucker had about 8 scars in his chest from previous gun shots. I was wondering after looking at all those Ms13 and 18th street guys we met how many are still alive today, if any.

And about the lobster diving, well, we have a new trip on the books for that. Reckon that little black headed spanish speaking gal will go with me if you chicken out?

10. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Epic thread in the making.

Mike Smith, kreeves, YN*Dotte and 5 others like this.
  11. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

And you didnt even have the decency to like it lol

12. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I’m on the F.A.T team, want any stories from us?

Mike Smith, Zeek, Datilite and 3 others like this.
  13. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Fire away! Let's hear it!

14. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

Knock yourself out Sir!

15. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Adventures with Marie Osmond and Nutri System?

16. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

Some beckerheads must have snuck in

17. John

John I know who I am! Staff Member

Haven't been to the jungle as much as Patrick, but never really been scared. I'm more comfortable there than here in the states at a concert or around a ton of people. When I fell while on rope and broke my ankle was a bit scary but the right mindset allowed me to improvise a splint and get to the hospital. To be honest, seeing Patrick naked was the most horrific thing I've ever seen- on or off the RAT team.

18. Expat

Yeah, she's a pro at that stuff.

19. Expat

Now, we're talking. Anything to expand my sticker empire....

20. rabid foxhound

rabid foxhound Banned

Fancy treating us to another tale Sir?