Quick overnight Thanksgiving Weekend (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Mudman, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Mudman

Mudman Member

Rain, Scott, and myself decided last minute to do a trip. So we packed up, hiked in a little late. By the time we reached out destination, it was already pitch black. The lows were around 38*

The hike in
    [​IMG]

Creeper shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new (to me) seasoning, I am a HUGE fan of Smokey'c seasoning, and this stuff is just as good if not better.
    Dinner was, italian sausage, bell peppers, and Spanish rice, with some tasty REH seasoning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain cooking up a storm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the rush of packing, I didn't realize until setting up my shelter, that I had forgotten my bivy. Luckily for me, I had a trashbag in my pack and a space blanket. Along with some tape- I made a quick hobo bivy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Breakfast bacon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The return of things fried in bacon fat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R Stowe, GaryMc, C99c and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mudman

Mudman Member

A sweet pouch I got from Darrin while at the recent bushclass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Stone

Stone Member

Nice trip. Nice pics.
    Adaptability ~= survivability. Adaptability has often kept me alive and functional, especially during the last few years.
    And more often than not, that was in my everyday world instead of wilderness.
    Yes!

anrkst6973, GaryMc and Mudman like this.
  4. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Great stuff. That's my standard dinner, totally awesome. Sometimes I work in chorizo to mix it up.

Mudman likes this.
  5. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

Mud that blade is sweet !
    Great shots as always and glad to hear the feedback on the REH seasoning.

Mudman likes this.
  6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Nice pics. Really like the blade.

Mudman likes this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

More great camera work Mudman! I can't even remember all the times someone has said "You're going to freeze to death out there" and yet here we are...it's all about the layers and adaptability.

Mudman likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

Mud, looking at your pics again this morning, I realized I see a hammock in the background in a couple of them. Which one?

Have you tried one yet? It's a world of difference over sleeping on the ground.

Since I was here last, I've purchased one: Warbonnet Blackbird. I experimented with set up for months during day hours, but only slept in it for part of one night -- a LOT of traveling and moving prevented my progress. I don't have an underquilt for it, and can't afford one yet; my attempts to use various kinds of pads for insulation have failed, and winter is coming <best game of thrones voice>.

Mudman likes this.
  9. Mudman

Mudman Member

I used to love chorizo, but after a trip with Reuben- I cracked a tooth eating chorizo. I've had a fear of it since. lol

Thanks, love the new seasoning. I need more!

10. Mudman

Mudman Member

Thank you

Thank you. Yes- luckily for me, layers saved me this trip. Only issue I encountered with the hobo bivy, was excessive moisture. My top quilt was drenched in the morning.

I can't remember the make of that hammock, it was Rain's. But it's very similar to the Warbonnet Blackbird.

haha yes. I've tried hammocks quite a bit- about 30 trips with one. I have a Blackbird, BIAS weight weenie, and a jungle hammock from the motherland. Love it. I went with a ground setup this trip, because weight was an issue, and I had already spent several days in one on the bushclass in Alabama.

A bottom quilt makes or breaks a hammock imo. I couldn't sleep in mines during colder temps if I didn't have one.

Stone likes this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

100% agreement.

<warning: temporary thread hijack! Skip this post if you don't care about hammocks!>

This is my first experience with hammocks. I'd read a lot -- I always do my homework before buying new equipment -- especially when it's a whole new genre of equipment for me (e.g., from tent or tarp to hammock w/ tarp), so I knew to expect that bottom insulation was crucial.

I proved that to myself the relatively painless way. I overwintered in central FL last winter (long, complicated story about why involving reconnecting with a friend of 40 years ago), and bought mine while I was there. He had an adjacent 40 acres were I set up an experimental hammock study area -- actually several of them -- to practice hanging (not something to try without practice!), various tarp pitches, to try out the best ways to lay in it (that took the longest to figure out),and to try some cheap options for bottom insulation. Even on an evening only in the high 50'sF (it was in the high 80's and 90's during the day), I was uncomfortably cold without bottom insulation, and wound up walking back to the cabin at 2 am. I tried two different air mattresses and a folding foam pad. Neither worked; terrible failures.

In spring, I'm going to try a different closed cell foam pad (40" wide, rolls, doesn't fold, so stays in place in the double layer fabric better, but not enough for winter up here -- 3-season stuff, but cheap -- like $40).

But ultimately, I want an underquilt (and overquilt) -- maybe two -- one for 3 season, one for winter.

Sorry to hijack your travel log --we should start a hammock thread someday. :)

12. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Stone likes this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

Oh, man, score! I love the looks of that ^^^. Never heard of it before. Already on my want list.

I'll bet teamed with that 1/4" foam pad I posted above, it could take one into winter hammock camping, even if not full on northern latitude winter.

Seems like a great piece of kit in general, hammock or not, right up there with my Kitaru Woobie. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. C99c

C99c Member

Cool overnighter. Pics (and food) look great.
    Has to be nice to have friends that'll do a last minute trip. Mine all require six months notice and temps between 50° and 60°.

15. Mudman

Mudman Member

haha true. But it did come at a cost- Rain only brought a small mug and spoon. So we ended up putting all my gear into full rotation.

C99c likes this.
  16. Vtach

Vtach Member

Very nice. Thnx for sharing

Mudman likes this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

It seems that we have once again learned the use of an EDK.

Every Day Kit. What do you want with you
    regardless of whether you're in
    the bowels of a city or deep in wilderness?
    Earthquake? Hurricane? Tornado?
    Social dissolution? Civilization ends? SHTF?

Can it be ready to go in 24 hours or less?

Mudman likes this.
  18. JV3

JV3 Member

i have a gossamer gear hammock pad (39" wide by just over torso length i think) that worked well for me for the summer months here.

i highly recommend hammock gear's underquilts - they have a different shape so the leg portion sits tighter against the legs and the torso part is lower to account for the sag once you're in the hammock so there's a tight fit still without compressing the quilt itself...i've only seen that design from them.

for top quilts i really like my loco libre ones - there's a zig zag (the maker calls it a chevron pattern) pattern to the baffles to prevent the down from shifting from side to side...once again, it's another design that's specific to this maker. also, i'm a super cold sleeper and i now know that loco libre is conservative in their temp ratings...my 30 deg top quilt kept me toasty below that which really surprised me.

i have the same pad at home...i'll give it a try next summer.

another kifaru convert :) i like the stuff i have from them although i will say that their sleeping bags suck...maybe it's the synthetic fill? i was still cold in my kifaru 0 deg sleeping bag (climashield apex insulation) but nice and toasty in a loco libre 30 deg top quilt (850 fill down) in the same temp range with the same hammock gear 0 deg underquilt.