Podcasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C99c, Oct 21, 2016.

1. C99c

C99c Member

I know we had this thread in the old place, so here it is again.

Post interesting Podcasts and/or specific episodes (because some have like one interesting show and ninety-nine boring ones).

I'm currently using Stitcher and Podbean for Android.

I enjoy:

Meateater with Steve Rinella.

The Joe Rogan Experience-lots of cool and interesting guests. Just skip through Rogan's long soliloquies where you can almost hear his brain cells dying.

Ballistic Radio- again, listen to this one because of the quality of guests. The host gets on my nerves a lot and sometimes also talks too much. I like his co-host (assistant?) on the newer seasons. He would probably make a better host.

Fighter and the Kid- some good old episodes with interesting guests. The newer ones are hard to listen to regardless of who they have on because the hosts are so damn annoying. If you say bro every sentence, "ain't mad at _____" and enjoy long off topic, Rogan-esque look at me, I know big words (but not always what they mean) crap, you'll love it.

The Enormocast- climbing podcast.

I'll add more later.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. C99c

C99c Member

Also, I'm listening to JRE (Joe Rogan) right now with a guy named Trevor Valle and laughing my ass off. Completely recommend it.

3. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

Our very on Murphnuge has a podcast now.

Allen Morrison and Spikebot587 like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Cool, what's the name of his show?

5. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

He's on SoundCloud. He goes by Murphnuge.

6. C99c

C99c Member

Thanks, I'll check it out.

7. aclawrence

aclawrence Member

I really enjoy the Gritty Bowmen podcast. It is geared more towards western backup hunting and lots of the episodes feature Aron Snyder from Kifaru Int.

I also liked a series called "In the Dark". It tells about the abduction of Jacob Wetterling, how the case was handled, and the arrest of his capturer 27 years later.

8. charles bower

charles bower Member

I've been listening to podcasts since not long after they came out. I recently purged a lot of shows I'm not listening to anymore from my feed. I'm using iTunes and an iPod still to listen to them. Since I drive for work I spend nearly 12 hours a day seeing very few people and I need some sort of intellectual stimulation. Here's my current feed:

The Adventure Zone - three brothers and their father play D&D, quite funny.
    Always Listening - reviews of podcasts
    Another Damn Trivia Show - usually 25 trivia questions per episode
    Art Supply Posse - discussions on watercolors, oil, pencils, notebooks, etc.
    Astonishing Legends - semi-intellectual discussions on legends, myths, and mysteries.
    The Baddest Ass - a humorous debate between which is the badder ass chosen at random. Hasn't been updated since August.
    The Best Debate in the Universe - the successor to The Biggest Problem in the Universe but not nearly as good.
    Blastropodcast - I rarely listen to the normal episodes but I love "muffed movies," a segment where they seemingly drunkenly reenact famous movies.
    Blurry Photos - a hilarious discussion of paranormal events, mysteries, ghost stories, and more.
    [BRACKET!] - A sweet sixteen bracket of all things
    Candy Chat - started as a joke on Blurry Photos but its literally a review show on candy. It often comes out seasonally but it seems its going to a monthly drop.
    The Classic Tales Podcast - out of copyright stories and books are read. Its mostly short stories but sometimes they have full books.
    Common Sense with Dan Carlin - a realist look at politics
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - epic historical accounts. His recent history of WWI was incredible, not to mention his previous episodes on Genghis Khan.
    The Dead Authors Podcast - improve actors take on the roles of famous dead authors and have a live interview with HG Wells (Paul F. Tompkins). Not updated since nearly a year ago.
    The Dick Show - another successor to the Biggest Problem, generally funnier than the Best Debate. Hosted by satirist Dick Masterson
    The Disney Story Origins Podcast - the stories that inspired Disney movies, juxtaposed with the movies themselves. Quite fun but expect a long wait between episodes.
    The Dollop - two comedians discuss some oddball stories from history. Very funny
    Doug Loves Movies - a game show about movies played between comedians and actors, hosted by Doug Benson
    Drink the Sauce - some friends discuss curious stories from history, their childhoods, and more.
    The Erasable Podcast - a podcast about pencils. Seriously.
    Gear Geeks Live - the podcast companion to the Everyday Commentary blog
    General Conference - semiannual LDS church General Conference feed. I'm a member of the church but my work schedule caused me to miss the conference for a couple of years; this became my solution.
    Good Job, Brain! - quiz show, trivia, and a bit of humor.
    Goulet Q+A - the audio feed of the Goulet Pens weekly Q+A sessions
    The Greatest Generation - a hilarious retelling of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. It certainly helps if you've seen the episodes before you listen
    Hello from the Magic Tavern - a man falls through a portal behind a Burger King and ends up in a fantasy land.
    Hey, Do You Remember...? - some friends watch and review movies and shows from their childhood to see if they still hold up
    Improvised Star Trek - the journeys of the USS Sisyphus, probably the most ship in the Federation fleet
    James Bonding - two James Bond obsessed comedians watch the Bond movies and review them. Very funny. I'm on the second listen to the entire show. They haven't updated since SPECTRE came out and probably won't until Bond 25 comes out.
    James O'Brien's Mystery Hour - a weekly Q+A from the UK. Often funny, generally informative
    Joanna Langfield's The Movie Minute - literally 60 second reviews of new releases in theaters.
    Judge John Hodgman - internet justice for pointless claims.
    Mike and Tom Eat Snacks - two friends eat snacks and review them. They used to update weekly but they've grown farther apart (4 months since the last update). Pretty funny.
    The Monat Dixon Line - two sketch comedians from decades back share their funnier moments. Hasn't been updated in a year so don't expect too much.
    My Brother, My Brother And Me - three brothers field advice questions, very funny
    The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air) - I'm not sure how to describe this one, probably the newest show on this list. A bit oddball, seems somewhat improvised, humorous, but not laugh-out-loud
    The Pen Addict - a podcast about pens
    Radio 4 General Knowledge Quizzes Podcast - challenging trivia
    Ridiculous Dialogue - everything but the tactical from ITS Tactical. Generally very funny
    Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine - a doctor and her husband discuss some of the medical errors of the past.
    Serial - seems to update annually but they discuss a single legal battle (the first season was about a murder, the second about the longest held POW in Afghanistan)
    Stuff You Should Know - one of the oldest podcasts, hosted by HowStuffWorks.com
    Superego - rarely updated comedy sketch show about psychology
    This American Life - an NPR show about true stories
    Trivial Warfare: A Pub Quiz Style Trivia Game Show - a long-form trivia show between friends
    We Got This with Mark and Hal - two friends debate between two choices
    Welcome to Night Vale - if Stephen King wrote the news for NPR it would be this show. Its a fictional radio show from a town where all conspiracies are true.
    10 American Presidents Podcast - biographies of US presidents. No updates since July
    10 Minutes About Your Favorite Movie - a 10 minute show (roughly) about good movies
    99% Invisible - a short show about the hidden side of design and the world around us

I would also recommend the Thrilling Adventure Hour if you're like me and listen to entire back catalogues of shows. It was really funny, using vintage radio shows as a basis for more modern shows (they had a "western" set on Mars, a horror show about alcoholic paranormal investigators, a superhero show, etc)

Delkancott likes this.
  9. charles bower

charles bower Member

I can probably dig up more shows that I used to listen to if you like.

10. C99c

C99c Member

Tiffany Johnson is the guest on the latest Ballistic Radio episode.

Having heard her speak before and read a lot of her writing, I'll say that the show's format (time limits, etc.) didn't allow for a great interview.
    However, if you're a 2nd Amendment advocate and not familiar with her it's a good listen and will introduce you to someone you should really know about.

11. C99c

C99c Member

Henry Rollins was on JRE a few days ago. Really unique guy.

12. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

The Art of Manliness has been consistently a good podcast.

13. Lee Parson

Lee Parson Member

Louder with Crowder
    Freedom Domain radio with Stefan Molyneux
    Hardcore History
    Meateater

14. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I just had to ask my lady what exactly is a podcast. Good info but the question that remains is how do I get podcast on my Galaxy S7 Edge?

15. C99c

C99c Member

Download one of the many Podcast apps. Currently I use Stitcher and Podbean.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  16. C99c

C99c Member

The rest of the family was sick today so I ended up just getting some things done around the house while listening to some shows I had marked to try over the past few months.

The Nerdist episode from 2015(?) with Anthony Bourdain was good.
    Alton Brown's Podcast is worth trying. I liked the one with Adam Savage.
    Savage was also on one of the Nerdist episodes.

I tried Your Mom's House on the recommendation of a friend. Not my kind of humor, I guess. I didn't make it through one show.

17. Hammer

Hammer Member

Pods I'm currently listening to:

Intelligence Matters

Hardcore History

Across the Peak

Revisionist History

Desert Oracle Radio

The Energy Gang

SOFREP Radio

Joe Rogan Experience

Fieldcraft Survival

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Zeek likes this.
  18. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

So, do you guys live stream while out, or do you download while on WiFi then listen later?

19. C99c

C99c Member

99% of the time I download at home and then listen later, but occasionally I'll download one while on the go if it really piques my interest or if my wife finds something she wants to listen to.

20. Hammer

Hammer Member

I usually stream while I'm on long drives.

Zeek likes this.