Playing with JG3

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Black5, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Black5

Black5 Member

So, in the Wish Esee Made It thread, I had a desire for an "Izula 3" and @mtngoat thought the JG3 would come close to fulfilling my desires. I admitted that I had never been interested because I wasn't sure about the ergonomics based on pictures, but had never held one.

Gentleman that he is, he sent me his JG3 to try out. Today, I began beating the crap out of it as he suggested.

The first real work began with a round bale. I didn't bother with a picture because @Bcamos did such a good job with his test on the 4s. Y'all know what happened to the blade.

Next came a stress cut on some cedar I thought was pretty dead. (I was wrong)

Followed by some feathersticks and shavings.
    IMG_20190316_183504722.jpg

Then I decided to flop my butt down on my side porch and play with some shavings and cedar bark for tinder on top of my work stump.
    IMG_20190316_191709719.jpg

IMG_20190316_191627100.jpg

And I just realized this was more of a plug for Exotac than the jg3 because it's not in any of the pictures. I'll remedy that tomorrow.

But, Exotac at work!

Dan Bauer, Kevo, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

@Black5 glad it made it safely, how did it do on the hay bale?

3. Black5

Black5 Member

Slid on through the netting, but you could tell the edge lost some sharpness. Not a lot, but if I had made several passes through or cut several bales it would have been really noticeable.

After the round bale I cut a square, and had to saw at the twine just a little. But you can see it didn't stop me from making fine shavings and peeling thin layers of cedar bark that I could roll in my hands to break up for tinder.

While watching TV this evening I put it to crock sticks and a strop. I've taken most of the machine markings off the blade now, and it will shave my arm.

The wife wouldn't let me try it on her legs.

mtngoat likes this.
  4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

@mtngoat is a awesome guy! He loaned me a RB3 I'm testing out as I hadn't tried one.

5. Black5

Black5 Member

Ok..more pics...

Feathersticks and some detail work.

IMG_20190318_191018467.jpg IMG_20190318_191314283.jpg IMG_20190318_191311378.jpg

Please pay no attention to the need for a manicure.
    I have some farm type work still lined up for the little bugger. It's been riding on my belt ready to go, and today I had to do some pruning on a pear tree. But when push came to shove, I went straight to the libertariat for some quick trim work on branches that had storm damage.

I'm really getting used to the size and feel in my hand. I still, at this point, wish it had a little more belly to it, but it has not been an issue yet. It may just be personal preference. I haven't skinned anything yet but that may be on the agenda after Wednesday depending on how many rabbits don't sell.

mtngoat and matthew like this.
  6. Black5

Black5 Member

Working on the edge polish.

IMG_20190318_215035696.jpg

Strigidae and mtngoat like this.
  7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Its a great edc and it takes a great shine from the strop. Wicked edge.

8. Black5

Black5 Member

Yep...still some light machine marks to go, but I have to do something with my hands while watching TV.
    :)

Strigidae likes this.
  9. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I am not gonna lie, it had a straight factory edge on it when I sent it out, I don’t think I did anything to it. Other than clean pig off of it.

STPNWLF likes this.
  10. Black5

Black5 Member

S'ok! I'm enjoying tinkering with it. I like watching them evolve from the completely serviceable factory edge to a more refined, polished edge.

Sort of like fine tuning a pickup truck. Bringing out the finer traits of a working tool without losing the tool's basic function.

mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

JG3 was used in a critical mission today. Sometimes on the little homestead here, emergencies occur requiring rapid response and you need the right tools for the job on hand, not in a toolbox a hundred yards or so away.
    Fortunately, the jg3 was on my belt as I mentioned in an earlier post, taking the place of my 4hm or Izula2 during my testing phase.
    Had it not been readily available to spring into action, I'm not sure the outcome would have been as pleasant.

IMG_20190320_204411559.jpg

Jtallen83, ZeRo, mtngoat and 3 others like this.
  12. Black5

Black5 Member

Holy crap, I've fallen behind. I said I would give my overall impression of the JG3, and I have been remiss. I've a few minutes at work where I'm not here ng assaulted by heathens and hottentots so I'll start.

@mtngoat was nice enough to loan me his JG3 for testing. I had mentioned I'd like a knife similar to an Izula2 only slightly larger with longer blade and handle.

Enter the jg3. I can tell you in the short version ( for the immediate gratification crowd) that the handle and ergonomics are pretty close to what I'm looking for. Blade length is about right also, therefore overall size is pretty much what I'm after. It is a bushcraft type blade, and yes, I realize that is what it is primarily designed for. And that's why it's not for me. :eek:

Yep. Heresy. I know. Deal with it.:cool:

But I'll tell you why I feel this way. I find no fault with the knife in itself. As a matter of fact, my wife was interested in it. She started borrowing it and doing little chores with it. Or she'd say, "come cut this with that knife...slice up these vegetables...etc." (I'm horrible at taking a lot of pictures. I'm sorry.)
    But I have a few other "bushcraft" type knives, and they all have the same issue. Not enough belly for my liking. Carving wood, making stakes, or potholders, traps, etc they are wonderful for. That's not what most of my cutting work consists of though. And here again, personal preference plays a major role. The hm series ranks higher with me than the standard series, unless I plan on stabbing someone. A knife with more belly just tends to feel better in my hand when I'm working on wood, cutting twine, skinning animals, food prepping, or what have you.

Now, if I were to be going strictly camping, bushcrafting, or the like I would probably consider the jg3. For my every day tasks, it's not my first choice. But here again, that's just me. I can't justify buying one (open to donations though) when if I were to drop big money on a knife, a junglas would give me more service around the farm, as would a cleaver.
    (I'm still debating on which one is my next purchase.)

So friends, there it is. My first sort of negative review of an Esee product. Negative only because it didn't meet my needs/expectations upon usage. I'm still open to donations though, just in case @Bushman5 is reading this and realizes his truck parts aren't as important as him giving me a reason to smile.:)

13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I wonder if you would like the JG5 better?

mtngoat likes this.
  14. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I have one of those now I can send you to play with @Black5

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Black5

Black5 Member

I don't know. While I like the overall shape of the jg5, ( oh, that belly) the size is a little impractical for working around my place, especially up and down on the tractor.

Let me mull this over a little though...I had, years ago (read that decades) a green river skinner with the similar shape. I liked it, but same issue that it was too big for my practical use. It had a 7 inch blade on it though....hmmmm.....

Let me consider this some. Really appreciating the offer, @mtngoat .:)

16. Black5

Black5 Member

17. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Replied to

18. Black5

Black5 Member

So now I have @mtngoat 's JG5 on my belt. I will admit I'm beginning this experiment with prejudice rather than curiosity as I did with the JG3.

The pictures of the JG5 held no personal appeal to me. I think it would be great for some people, and if I was doing a lot of hunting/skinning of large animals.
    So, my prejudice. I'm going to use it as my regular farm knife and see what happens.

I will say this: the wife gave it a thumbs down immediately. The length of the handle combined with grip curvature is strikingly uncomfortable for her.
    She did like the thinness of the grip though. One of her comments was that she wished the men who designed blades would remember that women used these knives too, and their hand size is different.
    In other words, she thinks she might like the knife if it fit her hand.
    (She has now looked at a PR4)

mtngoat and Bushman5 like this.
  19. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

You want me to send my PR4 for her to play with?

20. Black5

Black5 Member

Hahahaha....you know, after we swap out, yes, I think maybe so. She is starting to become more vocal about the knives. She never really cared before, but in the last year she has started taking notice of the differences in designs. She gets to play with any knives I have, but so far she still hangs with the izula as a neck knife, the 6 as a big knife, and gives the libertariat a wide berth until gardening and pruning needs arise.

mtngoat likes this.