Places on Earth where you probably shouldn't build a house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, May 8, 2018.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here's some pics. The 1st is northern France, built in the 20's, still there. It's just concrete, steel, and time to build. You think the woods burning or a lil ole twister going to drive you out of there?
    Pic 2 is on the Normandy coast, faces out to sea, a notorious place for nasty weather, plus the corrosive effects of the ocean. Built in the 40's. Yep, still there. Properly constructed and correct/ suitable windows, the foot set deep into the earth, you could sit in your easy chair on the gulf coast and watch a Cat 5 storm come in, with no worries at all.
    Now that would be cool!

2. Stone

Stone Member

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

I'd live in either of those castles. :)

The Marsh Gorilla and anrkst6973 like this.
  4. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

I would add, anywhere within 3 miles of the Atlantic coast, downtown Boston Mass, ( mostly fill, any seismic activity and you might as well live in San Francisco) and any where in tornado alley unless you build a dome house out of concrete.

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Stone like this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

When visiting FL in 2015, I learned that the eastern coast of that state south of half way down is less than 12' above SL.

I mean, storm surge could flood that even w/o SL rise. :eek:

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

Wait ... why does this film seem to fit this thread? :confused:

(HINT: It's what happens at 0:58 that looks like lava.)

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  7. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

Eh, tornados aren't that bad. Only a problem for about 2 or 3 months out of the year then they're gone

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

I'm snickering a little as I read Spikebot's comment on tornadoes. Have you actually lived through one? Especially a big one, like a supercell? If not yet, that MIGHT change your perspective. Might.

An F1 blew by my house in Memphis circa '70. One street over it did some damage to houses.

But the part that said, "Nope, I'm not interested in repeating this experience ever again; get out of tornado territory.", was the sound. Holy Decibels, Vortexman, that was scary. :eek: Like the proverbial 747 landing in the backyard, and worse, the debris hitting my walls and windows.

And that was just an F1. I can't even imagine a Joplin-esque F5. No sir.

So when I read "... only a problem for 2 or 3 months ... then they're gone", I interpret as, "I like snorkeling around the Great Barrier Reef with the Great White sharks, as long as there's a lot of us swimming. Every once in a while, a shark takes a human, and then there's a feeding frenzy caused by all the blood, and others get eaten, too. But after that, their appetite is satiated, and they're gone."

:confused:

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i love buildings like this. Huge fan of concrete. I would love to live in that tower.

anrkst6973 and Stone like this.
  10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

41ADB924-74C9-4801-83A6-25CB71C2C832.gif

Zeek and Stone like this.
  11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I must add, I left the list off, but the numbers correspond to the order in which the tornadoes have occurred throughout history, beginning with 1 obviously.

13. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

not quite sure if my sarcasm came trough in that statement like i meant it to. Don't get me wrong tornadoes are devastating. I've lived in central Oklahoma my whole life and was here when Moore got hit in both 1999 and 2013, both of which were F5's. but they also don't worry me that much. i think it has to do with the fact that i grew up in a family that whenever the sirens went off, we would go stand on the front porch and watch them come in. they were never a thing my family made a fuss about. in fact the last time we had a tornado near my town i was driving home from school and passed two separate people mowing their yard, and you could see the funnel cloud just to the east of us.

Bushman5, Stone and OKcherokee like this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

Well, to each their own, I guess, but in my book, that's close to insanity right there. ;)

15. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Spikebot is in the area where most of the tornadoes form while the sun is shining, usually early to mid afternoon.

Where I am it is close to or after dark when we get the storms.

Spikebot587 likes this.
  16. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I live on Vancouver Island, and "The Big One" is always on the back of my mind...

The quake will be powerful enough to knock buildings to the ground, and it will spawn a massive tsunami that will make landfall approximately 20 minutes after the initial quake, with waves up to 20 meters high, with the potential to kill thousands.

The chance of this happening within the next 50 years, as stated in 2015, was 1 in 10.

As of late 2017, various experts have upped those chances to 1 in 3...

17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

When I was a boy, Mama had family in Oklahoma, I loved visiting because everyone of them had a Cold War fallout shelter in the back yard, food, piped in water, bunks, it was where us kids got "put up". Like our own private fort.
    Heck A person could build this. And judging by what this one took in the opening salvos of WW II, I don't think anything short of a launched locomotive is going to worry you much.

Zeek likes this.
  18. Stone

Stone Member

Bigga badda boom!

anrkst6973 likes this.
  19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I did a little reading, at least one of the holes center of the image was an 88mm, and even that did not penetrate the interior. Bet it made one hellva bang though!

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

what do you think will happen to your fjord where you are? and how will it affect you and the town? is there a chance that fjord will be a bit of a buffer zone before a wave surge hits Port Alberni?

plan now.

Stone likes this.