Outer Banks NC trip recommendations

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by RocketmanDane, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

So the large "extended family" vacation this year was forced to relocate due to well... Wildfires burning down the rental properties.... So no Cabin by the lake vacation for me this year...

So all that said...Outer Banks, NC looks to be vacation this years.... BUT I have no idea what to do there... Luckily there is a LARGE fenced in area that we can have a camp fire and hang out but I can't just stay in a fenced in yard with a campfire for a week....

SO what do you guys and gals recommend I do while I'm in the OBX...????

2. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

Where in the obx? We've been there a couple of times on group vacations but ours all revolve around young kids and the ocean. I much prefer the southern end. Hatteras down to Ocracoke. Less people, less crowded beaches.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Corolla. I'm told there are wild horses...

4. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

There's the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education. Supposed to be great birding. Got nothing else for ya. Never stayed north of Duck. My recommendation is to get some sunglasses, hang out on the beach and watch the barely clad ladies running in and out of the ocean.

5. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Tour the lighthouses, start at Currituck up by you and on the recommended drive to see at least Hatteras you will pass by Bodie lighthouse as well. Long drive but I would say it is worth checking out. If you are even more daring and want to be in the car... drive onto the ferry and go check out Ocracoke lighthouse.

Wright brothers museum is pretty interesting as well, some walking in the fields and looking at the monument.

Go hang gliding on the dunes. Even just hiking around and jumping down the dunes is fun.

Some pretty cool boardwalks/nature areas soundside up on the northern end where you are at. The boardwalk by Currituck lighthouse is short and worth it for some pics.

The Black Pelican is a great restaurant if you drive south a bit

Go surf fishing or get out on one of the piers.

Wild horses are present up where you will be at, I've never seen them there, but I have seen the ones if you take the ferry over to Ocracoke

Drink beer, sit in the sand and swim with the sharks

6. Menace

Menace Member

Go hike the dunes at kitty hawk

Go over to Roanoke island and hike fort Raleigh and walk around the shops on the waterfront in Manteo

Go have dinner at Captain George's and breakfast at The Dunes

Go fishing at Oregon Inlet and tour all the lighthouses on the southern shores

And just hang out on the beach!

Theodore likes this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Thank guys ! Still hunting for ideas :)

Oddly I have spent so much time in the sand and the fact I live only 1 minute from the beach not a big fan of sand.... BUT I do love finding seashells! This will probably be one of my main activities :). Unfortunately locally we get about 0 seashells.... So that should be AWESOME!

8. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Set up boobie traps on your family and record them for our entertainment.

9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

SO SO SO tempting....... There is ALOT of butt hurt going around the wifey's family over stupid stuff SO im not sure that it would be received to well.....

Good news is i found a place to print the beach maps for only a couple of bucks :) I am pretty much planning to just hang out on the beach looking for shells and catching ghost crabs at night :)

Creaky Bones likes this.