opening up 17 year old Survival Rations

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I've had these since 2001........Got them in a bulk box (several boxes) cheap from a LOCAL disaster supply MFG. MFG date is 2001, expiry date is 2007. Its now 2018.

your typical life-raft compressed survival bars. Powder food....lol. 3600 calories per foil sealed brick. 3 bars per plastic pouch. 18 bars per foil wrapped brick

Slightly crumbly......tastes similar to Halva, but only a tiny bit sweet, just a slight vanilla and sweet taste. Powdery, sticks to the mouth, makes you thirsty....No rancid oils or fat taste at all, even after 17 years......just a consistent powder bar that is easy to chew/swallow, and actually tastes pretty good. No mold, no crystallization, no rancid favors. Just mini food bars that crumble when you handle them . Very "powdery" when chewing.,.......really forces you to drink water during and after eating these......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

edit: why did i choose to eat these? well why not? a lot of packaged food is good decades past its "expiry" date. And since I still have not received almost $1500 in back pay, i'm broke and needed to carry myself over a few days. Since i have multiple large boxes of these, I thought hell why not......sustenance!

caveat......these survival rations , even fresh, give you wicked gas.......:confused: I have two pissed off House Panthers glaring at me right now....LOL

on a side note....these bars, all crumbled up, would make a WICKED graham cracker style pie or otherwise ingredient......just saying.....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Kaw-liga, STPNWLF, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

That crumbly my mouth is instantly dry kind of food. Like eating cinnamon. :)

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yeah.. ....cinnamon would actually improve the flavor. ..

I ate 3 little bars and had to drink about 1.5L of water......i honestly think these are designed to force you to drink water....lol

Swampdog, Kaw-liga, STPNWLF and 2 others like this.