Old Wright Sentar - what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anomad, Apr 11, 2022.

1. anomad

anomad Member

TLDR; I have a neglected Wright Sentar and mow about 3 hours a week in season. Mostly steep and rough cut mowed areas. What would you do? This is a commercial mowing machine and I don't know if I can go back to homeowner grade stuff?

I have inherited my Dad's old Wright Sentar. I used it last season to mow the family property. The thing is old and doesn't run well. Started with a tune up, freshly sharpened blades and all the TLC items I could think of. It ran good/bad intermittently, I would have to clean the air filter every hour under ideal conditions. The property takes about 3 hours to mow. Nothing is flat or smooth, I live on a mountainside growing the finest Western North Carolina grass/weed mix in my mowed areas. I'm debating what to do. Dad called it Satan's scythe, she'll cut the grass when the stars are aligned.

Pros: it's fast. When it is running good I can go wide open with the 52 inch deck and really make time. The cut quality is pretty good, doesn't clump unless it is pretty wet.

Cons: it is showing it's age and runs like crap despite trying to take care of it. It's scary as heck going down hills. I have to go down my steep driveway every time I mow. It has the banana seat mod so it sucks for standing or sitting.

Options? What would you get? I can put a 6 foot finish mower on my tractor. I'd need another machine for tight spots around buildings. That's do-able. I also have trails and a few acres of area I only hit with the bush hog to keep them open. I could make those into mowed areas with the right machine. I'm much more into productivity and comfort than cut quality. I just want my fine weed mix to be ankle high most of the season.

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. anomad

anomad Member

Ended up putting a new carb and tune up kit in the old girl. Also replaced the idler pulley whose bearing assembly had somehow gone AWOL. That was an amusing discovery I should have caught a long time ago. And my local Wright dealer was totally useless helping me find a replacement. I will call them up and tell them how I found a replacement so maybe they can help a future customer. An idler pulley isn't a very unique thing, it just has to fit and do it's job.

After fitting the new carb and tune up kit it ran great. Tons more power than before. But after one mow she started pissing gas from the vent tube. So back apart it came today. The float had a crack and had filled up with gas, so of course it didn't float anymore. Took the old carb apart and swapped in the old float to the new carb's bowl. Thank doG it dropped right in.

Filled up one tank with gas. If anyone looks back on this in the future, gas is 4 bucks a gallon right now. We're currently programmed to gas being 2-2.50. Filled it with full cans I had stashed before the price spiked, so didn't feel as bad with the leaks and waste I had from the repair - LOL. People outside the USA will giggle at our gas prices. But they are probably seeing similar spikes.

Does anyone actually enjoy working of carbs? I mostly hate them. I guess if it was EFI I would be cussing fuel mapping and diagnosing sensors instead. Oh well.

We'll see if the old girl makes it through the season. I want my project to be mowing, not mower repair. With this many hours on a 20+ year old mower anything could catastrophically fail without warning.

If anyone needs a hand keeping some old **** running I have grease under my fingernails and I smell like gas. Be happy to help you figure something out if your in a jamb. I'm pretty familiar with Kawasaki OHV fuel systems now.

Oh, and if anyone has done a complete repower on a commercial mower i would like to talk to you. Plopping a brand new engine on this tractor is worth considering over the price of buying a whole new machine.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

…… or not ;) With the exception of some of the oil producing nations and little kingdoms the US has and remains with some of the lowest fuel prices in the world. What you are seeing has been most peoples reality for years. For example diesel just DROPPED in price here as Govt cut the tax due to rising costs and an upcoming election, it is currently selling for $7.60A ($5.35US) per US gallon or around $2A a litre. It it trending up still so that $0.25 per litre drop will be eaten up within the next month or so.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    anomad likes this.
  4. anomad

anomad Member

I shudder to think. I've only even been to Europe a handful of times, never down under, and was aghast at the fuel prices. We have it coming.

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Reg gas (87) here in BC Canada - $2.07 per Litre

Diesel - $2.27 per Litre

highest price in North America

costs me $150 CAD to fill my tank. Twice a week. Just for commuting to and from the truck yard at 0500 hours and sitting in traffic for an hour plus going home. Weekend driving is another $150 plus depending on distance.
    Seriously considering a propane conversion. But even then it's $1.30 a litre....

Got pics of the old Wright?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    anomad likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Not wanting to hijack your thread but just after posting I had to go fill the Landcruiser up from my week away, thought you may find it interesting g at least …..

06262D6B-D0D5-4425-86A9-8639673DB976.jpeg FED42748-9024-4B02-8680-B963511FC248.jpeg

anomad and Bushman5 like this.
  7. anomad

anomad Member

^^666 - :D What are the chances?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bushman5 likes this.