Old gets gold!

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Acedoc, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Acedoc

Acedoc Member

I have been an angler for around a decade now. I started out using various brands of tackle and skull dragging fish was all I believed in. This changed when I saw a limey catch 20 lb mahseer on 8 lb line. He was having a blast and catching way more fish than me. I was fishing a tight drag and straightening out my trebles due to the excessive forces applied.

I also was a pure swim bait kind of guy and had no confidence in spoons or spinners. Over the years this changed and my tackle has gotten lighter 8 lb big game line and the Lure is a spoon followed by a spinner and then something else.
    Will try to upload pics of some recent catches. The fish we get here is the golden mahseer - an excellent fighter and allegedly poor table fare!
    Ps- added pics to an album but can't stick them to thread.

AddictedToSteel likes this.
  2. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

If I remember correctly, the Linder school on fighting a fish is to have a tight drag and back reel line when you have to give some line up. This makes the fish have to fight harder. This method also needs a longer, limber rod so it can absorb any quick runs of the fish. It may take longer to land the fish, but it is also fun with light line. Since I don't typically run into anything more than 4 lbs, I generally use an ultralight setup with 4 or 6 lb test line and a 5 to 5-1/2 foot rod with kind of a buggy whip action. You will be hard pressed to horse a fish out of cover with this setup, but it is fun with even average sized panfish.

3. Acedoc

Acedoc Member

I am currently using a light and limber 7ft rod with a shimano elf 5000 spooled with 8 lb mono. I agree with the rod being used to absorb the fish runs. The part about the back reeling I could not get - do you mean to disengage the anti reverse?

4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Yes. Tighten down the drag and release the anti reverse so you can reverse the handle direction to let line out. It takes some getting used to, but try it some time on smaller fish and see how you like it. I think the idea is to make the fish fight for every inch of line it takes. By using a long flexible rod, the rod will absorb the lunges of the fish if you can't react quickly enough to back reel some line to the fish.