Non-permissive Environment carry

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Odinborn, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Before I ask my question, I want to define what a "non-permissive environment" is. A NPE is anywhere that it is frowned upon to concealed carry a firearm, but is NOT illegal to do so. Some of us work/attend places that if someone knew we were carrying, it would be frowned up and we would be asked to leave, but would NOT be in legal trouble for it. If you answer the question, keep this in mind, and do not advocate carrying where it is illegal to do so.

Anyways, for those of you that carry a firearm pretty much 24/7, how do you carry in what would be classified as a Non-permissive Environment? I've been considering picking up something small like a LCP II to use in a pocket holster, but I want to see how other people deal with it. I've also never carried in a pocket, so it would be something to try to get use to.

2. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I carry either a G22 or G22 with the grip chopped to G27 dimensions in Vanguard 2 trigger guard holster from Raven Concealment Systems in the AIWB position. Originally I bought the VG2 with just a belt clip and recently added a belt claw to it. Before adding the belt claw I would carry the grip chopped pistol for NPE situations. Since adding the claw I’ve gotten to where I just carry the unaltered full sized Glock. The claw is VERY effective at leveraging the grip into my body. I consider my job to be a NPE and I’ve not had anyone notice that I carry there.

Sadly I think a lot of my success at this is that most everyday people are truly clueless and don’t look for an odd bulge or printing of a ccw. But honestly that’s a whole different discussion.

Delkancott, Zeek and Kevo like this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

For me the solution has been a Glock 43 carried AIWB. I'll generally pick out shirts that are patterned to help break up the shape of any potential printing. I tried pocket carrying an lcp for a while, but never could get comfortable with the draw or the loss of my front pocket.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

My particular issue when it comes to work is that half the people I work with carry outside of work, but never would AT work. So they are more accustomed to what to look for.

I have a Glock 43 that I carry AIWB in one of Allen Morrison's kydex holsters. I added a claw but I can't seem to get it comfortable enough for work. I also have a G19 that I put in kydex from Dara Holsters, but that's the most uncomfortable holster I've ever used. It's a light bearing holster, and there's easily 2 extra inches of kydex past where the light ends, making it impossible to move with it on.

Kevo and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. CWB

CWB Member

my G42 is one that I carry quite a bit for this very situation

Kevo and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

That’s definitely a conundrum to have to deal with. I’m the only one at my job that carries, there’s one other guy that’s getting his things in order to start doing so.

I’m planning to order either an Axis Elite or Agis Elite from Tier 1 Concealment in the near future for my G22 and if I like the way it feels to carry it I’ll likely order another for my G20. I’ve pretty much got the frame of Might Joe Young so I can get away with a pretty large pistol under a XL t shirt.

Kevo and Zeek like this.
  7. Frigin

Frigin Member

Well this post fits right in where I just was the last three days. Lol.
    90D327D3-37A0-4995-9BA8-8CF687443324.jpeg
    so I took the kids to great wolf lodge. Well apparently they look down at my second amendment right.
    Well I carry 24/7 the only places in MA that I can’t carry are federal buildings and banks. The only way someone or a place of business can stop me from carrying in there building is by a human walking up to me and asking me to leave. I carry a g19 and g45 IWB with just a white tee shirt on and I have never had a problem with anyone seeing what I have. I don’t print and and am even more of an upstanding citizen when I have my firearm. Like I said 24/7
    So sorry great wolf lodge I will continue to carry in your establishment. Because someone that would like to do harm to me my family or any other human being is not going to stop and turn around once they see your sign.... I plan to protect my family to the best of my ability.
    Sorry for the rant. I was pretty pissed when I noticed this sign. I will no longer go to this establishment.

hma153, Bozho, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  8. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Concealed....is concealed....and I do my best to draw as little attention as possible. I began carrying AIWB about 5 yrs ago and have learned to work around the gun in my movements and actions.

I carry a G19 just about everywhere I go....unless they have metal detectors...I have learned how to dress around my set up and can even wear a suit with minimal printing with this set up...it has just worked for me..

I rarely vary my EDC but I do have a G42 should I need to drop back and punt...

Option 1: Old standby
    Gen4 g19
    Hailey Strategic Incog AIWB holster
    CE38F343-5B0A-4BE3-B083-8BA4DB8AD169 2.JPG

Option 2: due to old eyes
    Gen4 G19MOS with Trijicon RMR
    Inforce light
    Incog Holster
    I am working on finding a comfort level with the RMR and carrying this set up..after more than 1500rds down range I'm getting there...

DSCF2038.JPG

9. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

@Frigin I live an hour south of Great Wolf Lodge. My kids love it, and I also carried the entire time I was there. Considering most of their staff look like they are teenagers, no one is really looking for you carrying there.

@shaneadams90 I bought a G-Code Incog for my Glock 19 off the forums here a while back. I love the texture of it, but I seem to print the entire grip when I use it. Slowly I'm finding what works the best for me.

10. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I adjust mine for a slightly deeper carry. Also, don’t over look the importance of a good gun belt. I use a double layer leather belt or a riggers belt. It makes a difference.

hma153 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. Frigin

Frigin Member

Good gun belt is key!!
    Yup. I don’t think anyone that works there was old enough to drink.

Odinborn likes this.
  12. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I'd say a Keltec/LCP sized gun in a pocket would be your best bet. Like everything it's a trade off. Better concealment but slower accessibility and less firepower. I've seen some "deep concealment" holsters for larger guns that looked pretty gimmicky. Again it's a trade off of reduced accessibility and quality of holster (how well it is going to secure your gun).

A large part of concealing is how you dress, and being comfortable with carrying in the first place. A quality belt and holster give you confidence that your gun is secure. Dressing appropriately will reduce "printing" and most people are oblivious to such things anyways. But if you're fidgeting around with your gun or readjusting it (not confident in your carry) then you are going to draw attention to that bulge that was previously unnoticed.

13. Frigin

Frigin Member

I agree
    I carry what I consider to be a larger firearm g45 or g19 I have a great quality kydex holster they have great retention and help it stay where I put it so I don’t have to fidget. All I normally have on is a tee shirt. And you can not tell.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  14. Bozho

Bozho Member

G45 with a AIWB kydex holster + a bit larger t-shirt works fine for me.

Frigin and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  15. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Another consideration:

Wheel guns aren't very popular nowadays for the most part. However, the rounded profile of a J frame revolver disappears IWB much easier than a blocky semi-auto.

Zeek and Odinborn like this.
  16. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Time of year makes a huge difference where I live. In the summer it's usually a Glock 36 or 43 IWB but in the fall, winter and early spring I generally carry a 1911 or Sig 320 OWB just under a Jacket Shirt or vest. I occasionally notice a person carrying (usually because of bad gear) but I think the only people really vigilant enough to ever notice someone carrying are probably carrying themselves.

17. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I carry one in a hollowed out copy of "1,001 Vegan Recipes"

Never had an issue.

18. Nagel

Nagel Member

I tend to agree .... a revolver is more “organic” in shape if you will, and therefore hides better (for me, anyway) in a deep-cover role than an auto. When faced with a NPE, I generally try to get in and out as quickly as possible, and park as closely as possible to an entrance/exit. The only NPE I routinely encounter is the courthouse, so this is not a real problem for me.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.