Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Go to a range and rent a variety of handguns.

2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

3. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

It matters. In the second option you gave me with the assembled upper and lower...would that require the special tools to finish the assembly?

4. ASH

ASH Member

No if the lower is assembled you just snap the upper to it and push in two pins.

5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Awesome thanks...that's what im leaning toward. Except maybe with OD or FDE parts...

6. Boker55

Boker55 Member

A lot of the time palmetto state and joeboboutfitters.com will have weekend deals with a pistol and AR combo for fairly cheap.

Zeek and Kevo like this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo Member

Or the 10 mags deal too!

8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

If you see a deal like that please post a link...

Also I know that theres a difference between 556 and 223 and how one can shoot both but the other cant....but when I looked it up I got even more confused with the talk of pressures and whatnot

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

The easy way to remember pressures for AR's is to use the caliber designations, .223 small number = lower pressure, 5.56 larger number = higher pressure.

10. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

But which caliber can shoot both and which cant

11. ASH

ASH Member

5.56 can fire both so can a Wylde chamber. 5.56 is the military chambering with a looser fit for reliability. .223 is the tighter commercial chamber for better accuracy. The Wylde is a hybrid of the two. 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun could have problems.

Zeek likes this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

I may be wrong but I don't think the pressure of the rounds is the problem but the dimensions of the.223 chamber can cause pressure to spike to unsafe levels if you fire 5.56 in it.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  13. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

NOPE!!!!https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Zeek likes this.
  14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

That was the article I read that confused me more lol...
    Which is the least expensive round? Which is more common?

15. ASH

ASH Member

That depends, in general 5.56 tends to be cheaper especially if bought in greater quantity. All your soft point hunting loads are .223 though.

16. ASH

ASH Member

I am not sure what you are saying here.
    That article mostly agrees with my post. It shows that 5.56 fired in a .223 may work fine and most likely isn't going to blow up, but also mentions popped primers from excessive pressure.

17. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

In general the consensus is only shoot .223 in a rifle marked as such. Shoot .223 or 5.56 in a rife chambered in for 5.56. You MAY never have a problem if you shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber BUT it is not worth chancing it.. especially if you have an older .223 rifle.
    If you want to be 100% safe buy a Wylde chambered barrel and don't worry about it. The difference between the two chambers (.223 and 5.56) is the difference in the Leade ( the area between the chamber and the rifling). The 5.56 has a longer leade due to the number of different rounds that the military has in use. The leade is the area that the bullet has to jump (free space) until it contacts the rifling. IF you have a 5.56 round that has an OAL that is longer than a standard .223 round ( as measured by SAMMI) you could possibly have an unsafe pressure spike which COULD lead to blown primers, stuck cases or POSSIBLY a catastrophic failure of the rifle. Granted it is not very likely that this happens BUT if and when it does it is not a good thing.

ASH and Zeek like this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

Yes, I agree with that, must have been where I mentioned the difference of pressure between the two rounds that we got crossed up. Yep I see where I went wrong now. For some reason I was thinking that loading a .223 to equal pressure of a 5.56 would be ok in a .223 chamber. But in reality that wouldn't be any different than firing a 5.56 to start with. I knew that, but must have had a brain fart.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

That helps UncleG. Thanks.... but now onto my next question (I have TONS lol)

On PSA's site they have listed in their complete ARs section several marked rifle and several marked pistol in various barrel lengths... I'm assuming after a quick search "pistol" is for legal reasons...I noticed some were chambered differently too...but what is the pros and cons of let's say a 10.5" barrel vs a 16" (which seems to be standard), and 20"? I'm assuming shorter barrel means easier Maneuverability in tight spaces but less accuracy and range than a longer barrel???is that right? Is there more to it? How much Difference are we talking?

Sorry if this is annoying ? I feel like a little kid the keeps asking why? Why? Why? After every answer I get. Lol

The Marsh Gorilla and Kevo like this.
  20. Kevo

Kevo Member

16" is the minimum barrel length for a firearm to be considered a rifle. Once you get under that you get into a lot of grey area with legal accessories, specifically, shoulder stocks. A pistol can't have a shoulder stock, but it can have a "pistol brace" like the sig brace. There's a lot of performance stuff with velocities and accuracy and maneuverability but I don't know enough to not make myself sound dumb.