New DIY camo on my Ruger 10/22 TD.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by R Stowe, Sep 17, 2016.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I just picked up the rifle last week, and I'll have a scout rail and a scope mounted soon. I took it out for some iron sight plinking and it impressed me. The one thing I didn't care for was the black synthetic stock so I decided to try my hand at a camouflage paint scheme. Here's what I came up with.

I picked up these 4 cans. They're Khaki, Army Green, Deep Forest Green, and Earth Brown.

[​IMG]

Then I put down horizontal stripes of Khaki and Army Green. I'll say these were a bit lighter than expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then stretched a cotton netting material that you can get in Halloween decorations over the stock and held it tight with binder clips. I wanted it to be curved along the horizontal strands and flush against the stock.

[​IMG]

Then I applied a coat of the Deep Forest Green.

[​IMG]

This was the result of that coat. The cotton netting is kind of frayed and fuzzy and it made for a good blurring effect.

[​IMG]

For the final step I stretched a mesh laundry bag over the stock components the same way as I used the netting, and used a stencil cut from card stock to create some shadows and hard lines using the Earth Brown paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All and all I'm pretty happy with it and I'll probably paint the scout rail in the same manner. It did get scuffed in a few places, but I might make a smaller stencil and a light dusting of the brown using smaller mesh in the future.

Here's a pic in the backyard scrub line, and it's in direct sunlight. I'll post more when I get it in the woods.

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking the thread out.

Flex, fmrranger and jlowrance like this.
  2. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Turned out great!

R Stowe likes this.
  3. R Stowe

Thanks! I'm curious to see how durable it is, but regardless it will be super easy to touch up.

4. Bluelew

Bluelew Member

outstanding job

R Stowe likes this.
  5. fmrranger

fmrranger Member

Sweet! One of a kind plinker to be proud of.

R Stowe likes this.
  6. R Stowe

I got my scope and rail painted and mounted up today.

I went with the scout rail from Amega Mounts, and since I wasn't sure I'd like the scout mount I picked up a 2x7x-30 Aim Sports scope that was suggested by a member here. All I have to do now is paint the factory rail section on top of the receiver and finding a sling. I'm looking forward to getting it zeroed and hitting the woods.

[​IMG]

I decided to go with just a two color scheme on the scope and I taped off the variable selector and the illumination ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. This Ruger will be making lots of appearances in future woods threads.

7. RegaliaJoe

RegaliaJoe Member

Man that turned out amazing.

R Stowe likes this.
  8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Turned out really good! That giant stainless barrel sticking out is going to give you away though!

R Stowe likes this.
  9. R Stowe

Yeah I might paint it with some of that Brownell's coating that you bake on. Maybe coyote or FDE. I'm not sure I'd be down to bake the receiver, but the barrel shouldn't have any issues.