Netflix recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jlowrance, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Stone

Stone Member

You hated Fury, Punisher or The Last Kingdom?

2. the925life

the925life Member

Check out Dark. It's a German production with similar vibes to Stranger Things.

Don't dub it. Stay with the original German and use English subtitles.

It's awesome.

3. Solitary

Solitary Member

Last kingdom

4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Narcos and El Chapo if you want to get into the gangster drug lord mindset.

5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I've done some research on ol' Expat. He's not lying here, except for the autistic part. Expat (Ronald "Expatria" Enrique Bartholomew II, Esq., M.Acc, M.P.Acy., PhD) was born a poor street rat in Argentina to unknown parents. Shortly after birth, he was adopted by the Argentinean street gang, Los Contadores. He worked his way up through the ranks by crunching numbers and curb stomping the gang's rivals, Los Deudores. By the ripe age of 22, Expat had earned the grand rank of "Calculadora Jefe". By now, the CIA had caught on to the rapid growth of Los Contadores. They sent agents to speak with the gang's tribal leaders in order to strike a deal. The gang would help the CIA manage their South American assets and the Agency would allow Los Contadores to operate their business within the borders of Argentina undisturbed. The gang leaders knew there was only one man for the job, Ronald "Calculadora Jefe" Enrique Bartholomew II, Esq., M.Acc, M.P.Acy. (He hadn't yet earned his medical degree or the nickname "Expatria"). By the age of 30, Expat had earned his nickname "Expatria" by traveling all over the world working for the CIA, as well as earning his medical degree. After completion of his successful residency as a Obstetrician-Gynecologist, he was ready to settle down in a small Argentina town. Wanting to open his own OB-GYN practice, get out of the CIA/gang life and live the rest of his days on a thousand acre ranch raising Thoroughbred Sheep in his spare time. Alas, the CIA had one job left for him to complete before they would accept his resignation. He was to meet up with an undercover CIA operative, code named Heff Mandall, and infiltrate a Peruvian motorcycle gang. Shortly after their arrival, their cover was blown. Expat's punishment was to be covered head to toe in gaudy tattoos. Los Contadores, having a strict no-tattoo policy (they're trying to be a respectable street gang), forbid Expat from returning to his Sheep Ranch in Argentina. The CIA offered him refuge in the United States. He now lives in Indiana with his wife, 9 children, 2 dogs and 14 Iguanas. He works as a forum moderator and sticker distributor to make ends meet. He can't get a real job because of all the tattoos.

My book, called "The biography and epic tales of Ronald "Expatria" Enrique Bartholomew II, Esq., M.Acc, M.P.Acy., PhD" will be available for purchase on Amazon later this week.

6. Stone

Stone Member

What did you hate about it?

You live over there, I don't, so my question is genuine.

I acknowledge that it's Hollywoodized historical fiction, full of historical errors.
    The actors are all second tier, yet they're doing their best. Costumes and sets are decent.

I'm just trying to go along with a cheap novel on video that I can watch and zone out.

7. Stone

Stone Member

Is this going to be out on video in the next couple of years?

I read very slowly, and prefer to watch the video version, especially since I know there will be hot women cast in the roles of his hundreds of sex partners, including Brigit.

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  8. Solitary

Solitary Member

Poor acting and more to do with timing. I was watching vikings at the time and that was far more watchable

9. Stone

Stone Member

Oh, I TOTALLY agree about Vikings being a far better show. It's definitely in my A films, 4 - 5 stars (GoT gets a 4.9). Last Kingdom is B grade, somewhere from 3.5 to 4, maybe hitting 4.2 - 4.3 for some parts of some episodes: it has its moments. (I'm splitting hairs with ratings here, but in general, you get my point.)

I found it before I found Vikings, and started watching it. I was only modestly interested in the first couple of episodes, so when I found Vikings, I was hooked immediately. I've barely touched the later seasons of Vikings (4 on) because I could not afford my Hulu account, and let it slip. Then I got a free month with Netflix, and that's where Last Kingdom is, so ... I'm giving it a second chance.

I find that as long as I don't set my expectations too high (I'm not expecting Vikings), it's still a pretty good show. I find the characters develop over episodes. And in a way, it's refreshing to not see familiar faces from other films or series. So far, the only familiar face is the BIG bald-headed viking who becomes one of Uhtred's warriors in season 2. He played in Vikings as an older fellow (the guy who begged Ragnar to take him on his return to England so he could fight and get killed to go to Valhalla since all his friends where already there). Every other character (at least for me) is a fresh start.

The Marsh Gorilla and Solitary like this.
  10. Solitary

Solitary Member

I will it another try

11. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

You'd make a good private investigator.

Except we ate 4 of the iguanas.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bcamos like this.
  12. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

new black mirror! The best show that you still don't want to binge watch.

13. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. That show makes you want to go live in a cave somewhere. This season was the best yet in my opinion. I don’t think most people realize it’s kind of a modern Twilight Zone.

14. Stone

Stone Member

Last Kingdom, Season 2, Episode 6: it just took it up about 7 - 8 notches.

Far deeper acting, and a new kind of special effects I've not seen before.
    Not up with Matrix, but still ... da'yum.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  15. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

Just going into the third month of having a netflix account and I'm thinking about dropping it already. Aside from catching up with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, that horrible Rogue One, and a few of the marvel movies, it's rather boring. Most of the stuff I'm seeing is stuff I wouldn't watch on regular tv, let alone pay $12/mo for an account. Those Marvel superhero serials are boring, though I had hopes for Jane. The Punisher wasn't bad, but I quickly tired of seeing him take hit after hit and not requiring months of convalescence before getting back into a fight.

Bright, w/ Will Smith, was good. It was weird and different, and totally unexpected. Acting was alright. Cinematography and all that was really nice. It made this month's netflix bill worth paying.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  16. Zeek

Zeek Member

O.K... Zeek doesn't watch much TV. I'm sort of a Will Smith fan, anyone watching Bright?

Strigidae likes this.
  17. olderguy

olderguy Member

I seem to be in the minority locally but to me Bright was hard to watch JMHO

Zeek likes this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Member

Watching my 1st episode now... yeah, doesn't seem like my thing.

19. ArguableLobster

ArguableLobster Member

That first episode of bright is quite long.

20. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

The movie Bright with Will Smith was pretty good.

VaughnT likes this.