Need some turkey hunting advice

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by IW17, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

That will work. It's just something for the bird to focus on.

2. Vtach

Vtach Member

Lots of opinions on decs. Decoys were not made legal to use in Alabama up until a few years ago so I admit I havent used them a whole lot, but from my experience of using them ive had better luck in using a single jake or jake/hen combo. Ive seen longbeards stare down a hen dec from 80-90 yards away waiting for it to come to him. Then again, ive seen them come running to them. Just all in preference, but if i were going out and could only carry one, id carry a jake. I think i say that because ive brought in stubborn, hung up gobblers within easy gun range with jake yelps when all else has failed before many times. I think youll be fine with a hen dec. if i was going to buy one, however, i would go on and buy a good one like rook suggested.

3. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

IMG_20170408_065243.jpg

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  4. Safetyman

Safetyman Member

Be patient...Turkeys are harder to hunt, be still! they can see 360 and their eyes are 3 times better than ours. Don't get to close to the roosting tree. If they see you and are alarmed, leave that area. If you want to hunt Public land...walk deep into the woods and wait until late morning...11:00am. Full or extra full choke in 3 inch mag. Be quiet when you are getting out of your truck, don' use a flashlight, let your eyes adjust. Watch for snakes...copperheads or Rattlers. I use a Primos Diaphragm, a slate call and a Wing bone call, I made. When you get to the woods, find a hill or a high point and listen for a gobble when the song birds start chirping. Use a owl hooter, but sometimes the crows will cause them to gobble. Scout and know the land you are hunting, know your turkey signs. Pattern your shotgun, don't wait until he is in front of you. Camo from head to toe, I use Mossy Oak! Get a good Turkey hunting chair, it's better than sitting on a rock or root...you will move less if you are comfortable. Don't over call! If he is with a hen, try to call to her, she may bring the Tom with her. Tick spray!! Good Luck!