Need some feedback

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I'm in the final process of designing some Expat® Knives enamelware. First, I'll have a mug that will be your constant companion throughout your adventures. You can drink out of it, eat out of it, and shave out of it. It will also have that satisfying clink when you drop the bullet into it that you just pulled out of your own shoulder. (Hey, some of us live in rough neighborhoods).

What I am wondering is if you guys would be interested in a cooking pot. I'm not a big fan of those small pots with no (or very little) handle and a flimsy bail on top. They are generally small and fall in the middle of trying to be everything to everyone without doing any one thing well. Their main benefit seems to be that they nest inside of other, similar pots, that are equally unimpressive.

I like a cooking pot like this:

ENAMEL_POT_WHITE_GW_demfdy.jpg

Now this is something you can work with. It doesn't take up that much more room in your pack since you can put stuff inside of it and the handle just slides down next to the side of the pack, taking up little space.

But it can be set right on the fire and still be able to be grabbed. No wire bail to break. No flimsy handle that you can't get a grip on. And a solid pour spout. It's something that's equally at home whether you hike solo and use it over an emberlit stove, car camp over a Lodge Sportsman's Grill, or are at the deer cabin for a week, cooking on propane. It's also something your grandkids can be using when you're gone--the quality is there.

The feedback I'm looking for is this: Am I alone in my preference for this type of cooking implement? Do you guys prefer tiny pots?

It is enamel covered metal. Capacity is about 30 ounces.

Saucepan.jpg

I have become a huge fan of enamelware. My grandparents had some when I was a kid so there is certainly a nostalgia factor. But the material is great. Tough, durable, colors don't fade, it cleans up easily, you're not cooking in aluminum yet it's pretty lightweight for it's strength.

Take a look at how they are used outside:

2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

cool pot...I like enamel ware as well....but I don't normally carry it into the backcountry... I use a Ti Pot that you express dislike for but I also don't do much real 'cooking' in the back country....

something like this is great for camping! I'd use it!

Strigidae likes this.
  3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Okay so I’m splitting the difference on this one. I’m not a huge fan of the mugs. As @Mudman and I discussed the other day the main issue is burning the flesh off my lip and then my coffee is cold. It seems that’s the two speeds. The pot on the other hand would be really cool. I’ve thought those from Best Made were a unique item for years. I’m sure either of those will be a hit.

4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I would use that pot in the woods, @shaneadams90 we could make some more possum chili.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I’m a fan of old school with a mix of new. I like it. Is a lid for it possible? Dutch oven style cooking over a campfire would be cool.

Stray Round likes this.
  6. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I like the option for a lid also but not a deal breaker.

7. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I have the best made in the top pic. They are awesome and I love using it. That said, I car camp only with it. If I'm packing, I want a kit that fits in the pot with a lid so I can be organized.

8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

If you can get it made to the specs of stuff from the 1920's-30's then go for it. Old school quality, that's what we want.

9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Honestly ill buy whatever you come up with. After using the cleaver in the kitchen im hooked and trust your culinary judgement.

Marty W likes this.
  10. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

11. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

"that will be your constant companion throughout your adventures. You can drink out of it, eat out of it, and shave out of it. It will also have that satisfying clink when you drop the bullet into it that you just pulled out of your own shoulder."

You forgot bedpan. For those nights of telling ghost stories around the fire and are now scared to get out of the tent or hearing a rattlebackcoppermoccasin rustling in the leaves by the tent flap or when...

I like the pot but it needs a lid.

I don't know why the popularity of the bail as it is much easier to set in the coals or against the fire if it has a handle. If you pick it up by the bail and there is no lid you can scald your fingers from the steam rising from the pot.

A handle prevents that and gives you something to hold onto when eating out of it, especially when licking the bottom as the bail gets in the way. Plus it is easier to bash the heads of say, a rattlebackcoppermoccasin, with something that has a handle as opposed to a flimsy bail when you gain courage to come out of the tent after telling ghost stories around the fire.

Enamel cups look cool but they are like holding a branding iron to your lips but they do have a handle and not a bail...

12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

It’s useless to me without a lid. I’m a huge fan of my set of mors pots but I can see some uses for a pot with a handle, but it needs a lid.

13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Yup

shaneadams90 likes this.
  14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, what do all of y’all use these lids for? I’ve not really found a use for mine. I’m not actually cooking a roast or anything.

Strigidae likes this.
  15. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Makes the water boil faster

Hammer likes this.
  16. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

It should be made by Falcon and have a lid. If you want them to really sell, multi cam and fde none of the sissy baby blue stuff. Crenulated rim might be a plus in some circles as assault ware!
    Joking aside, lid and tea/coffee strainer that fits it.

17. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

The lid can keep fine ash (like pine) from settling in the pot or insects that are attracted by the fire at night from doing kamikaze landings.

Plus you can cover the pot to keep things a little warmer or shied it from insects while you are doing something else.

The cover would help while steaming rice.

18. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I use mine for straining (I like noodles when I'm camping). It is also a part of the system that keeps me organized. Everything I cook with must fit inside the pot. The lid keeps it all together.

19. Mudman

Mudman Member

I really like this offering Expat!

haha totally, but there's just something about them. It's the thing you never learn your lesson on. But probably safer than a cast iron cup, you'd probably just burn your entire face. It's like Jeep guys with mall crawling rigs.

This reminds me I need a kettle.

20. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

I would be more in favor of the mug but I would certainly consider a pot