My Quest Begins

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Rook52, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Thanks guys for the input, I was just informed that a guide will be with me in the field. They do not allow anyone out in the field alone under their watch. With that said the guide will be carrying a 45/70 for back up. So bullets you say...this is the combo that works best for my rifle. Like I said I spent a lot of time behind the scope trying different bullet combos to see what my rifle likes. I'll be shooting a 140gr Barnes TSX boat tail, backed with 52grs of hodgdon 4350 powder. CCI large rifle primers and Hornday brass. That bullet is traveling around 2,900 fps.
    [​IMG]

Stone, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  2. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I'm a firm believer in placement over power when it comes to shooting game. Each argument has just cause under certain circumstances but in my case I think I have the right tool for the job.
    So I took some of everyone's advice and started to put my training into everyday things. For example I was helping my parents for the last few day put trim in their house. So I put the saw in the basement to cut, 60+ flights of stairs a day. My legs are burning, but it was great to get some type of work out and still work. I also took @Stone and @Expat advice as well as a few others have said to train with a weighted pack. So yesterday I grocery shopped which is about a mile walk and packed the food in my pack to carry home. This everyday workout stuff is awesome, it's easy to be lazy but with some thought lots of chores can be workouts.

Stone, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I've got a really good workout for you: come chop the wood at my house. Then break up the concrete driveway that's falling apart and carry that off. Once you're done with that, I've got some more.

4. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I'll be there!

Stone, Zeek and Theodore like this.
  5. Expat

Here's @Rook52 getting ready...

artigas, Stone and Rook52 like this.
  6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

We talked when we were filming that and my camera guy said he wouldn't post that video. I guess he's fired :)

artigas and Zeek like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

Great video. Very engaging with the diversity of ... themes woven in.

Congrats on your ongoing training. Your body will love you for it on your hunt.

Re .270 and cartridge choice. I'll trust your and others perspective on it. .270 seems totally reasonable to me re Sitka, and given that you'll have a back up guide with .45/70 -- good on both counts -- you should be fine outside of a full attack by a ten-member punk brown bear brigade.

Enjoying reading this. Learning some new stuff.

8. Stone

Stone Member

Here's a first draft video of what I did today for training.

No Sitka or rifles, but it's at least outside with pack and involved a lot of walking in heavy snow.

Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  9. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Good stuff! I wish we had that snow. It's pretty much all gone here. I did a another three mile walk today, your views were much better but I did get out.

Stone likes this.
  10. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I have a question for you who have traveled with firearms. I have a pelican hard case that my rifle will be in. It can have 4 locks on it. My question is do the locks need to be TSA approved or can I put whatever lock I want on them?

11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

C99c likes this.
  12. Expat

It has been my experience that if you put your own locks on it and TSA wants to look at it down the line in the process, they may just cut them and replace them with a twist of wire.

If you have TSA locks on them that they can open, they may open them and they will put them back.

I have heard of recommendations like waiting around the check in desk after you check in, so that TSA can call you to open the case before it gets put through and on the cart to go to the plane. From a practical standpoint, I don't know if this will work because by the time TSA people are looking at it, it may be so far from the check in counter that they wouldn't think or try to contact the check in desk.

I would ask the ticket agent if they or TSA want to look into it before you put the locks on just in case. That might help.

The bottom line is that this is not really so odd an occurrence and many many people travel with checked firearms on a daily basis. It is rare to hear of a problem with a lost one.

If you go with your own personal padlock, I'd suggest bringing extra for the trip back if TSA cuts them off.

13. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Thanks for the input about the locks. That was kinda the vibe I was getting. That is there is not a good answer. I'm going to put on my own locks and give myself plenty of time. I heard Alaska airlines is the way to go because they handle a lot of guns. I'm also going to bring a spare set of locks just in case.

Zeek likes this.
  14. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Ok let's talk cutlery :D. Since I'll be doing all my own trophy care if I'm so lucky to harvest a deer I need a few blades. Trusty rusty will be by my side as it always has been since I got it. That is my esee 4. Best hunting blade ever and that is a fact, so don't argue with me. :) next is my buck gut tool. I like this little guy for gutting as well as splitting the cape. Rounding this hat trick out is a havolon. To be honest I hate the havolon, it super cheap but I like the blade size. I was thinking about a CR2.5 to replace it. Thoughts? I'll be using it for detail work, mainly caping out the face.
    What about a multi tool? I have Victorinox multitool is it worth while to bring? I feel like I'm bring too many already.
    [​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Havalon has been in my Amazon wish list for about a year now... I'm thinking at least their cheap enough, especially for us guys that can't sharpen a knife worth a sh!t.

Rook52 likes this.
  16. Rook52

Rook52 Member

That's why I got it, but the blades are flimsy. I've broke several and once it could have been bad, I almost cut myself pretty bad. Scalpel blades are not made to be used like that I guess. For light work I think they work and to change out the blade is great but just not for me. I'll learn to sharpen.

Zeek likes this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

They are great for doing the detail work on your cape. Mate had one for us to share on our recent NZ trip. Other than that I think you are covered.

Rook52 and Zeek like this.
  18. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Thanks I guess I'll add to Mike and Jeff's retirement. Ha ha

Zeek likes this.
  19. Expat

Zeek likes this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member