Mountain bike

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by BlueDogScout, Jun 11, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Okay so a few pieces of back story. One since last August my health has be really bad. Been having heart issues which sucks at 31. I take 6 pills a day and my blood pressure and palpitations are better. I still have an issue with my heart rate and got thrown on a cpap. They have said everything under the sun and yet all tests say I’m healthy and nothing wrong except my heart is crazy. It’s been a ****ty year. I want to try and get in better shape. I’m 6’ 2” and 260 lbs. my goal is 220. I have a large frame so much smaller I would look like I’ve been locked up and starved. Anyway. My diet is better balanced and my calories stay around 2,000 to 2,500 a day. So exercise is the last piece of the puzzle. Running is miserable with a ruptured disc, rebuilt knee and the pins in my ankle. Plus my lungs feel like they are on fire after a minute. (31 but my body has been greatly abused) So I thought hmmm maybe mountain biking around the area to get my stamina back then start rucking again. I went to REI and the bikes were well out of my range to see if the exercise might get my life back on track. Well today I bought an elcheapo used mountain bike from academy for $80. Figures worth it to see if I like it. I haven’t been on a bike since I was 9. After cutting my hand off at 10 and having it sewn on I was driving before therapy stopped and it healed enough to get out and do things. (Did I mention my body is a train wreck and the reaper owes me money?) so anyway any advice from the bikers out there? Also, the gel seat is nice but when stopped I have to be on the tips of my toes to stand, is that normal? I don’t think it goes lower. It’s dark now but I can share pictures later. Thank you all for any and all help.

2. olderguy

olderguy Member

Have you though of a stationary bike in the house ? That way you can buildup your stamina and muscle tone without running out of physical gas far away from the house. Most of them have different ways to adjust resistance as you go.

Darkhorse likes this.
  3. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

Find a second hand recumbent exercise bike to use while watching tv or reading each night. Build up a bit at a time.

Darkhorse likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

find a heated pool and "run" slow laps thru it, first waist deep, then after a month or so progress to stomach deep then to chest deep. When you get tired at any given point, you can simply float, or swim lightly.

its an AMAZING resistance workout ,LOW IMPACT, and it also builds your lung capacity.

Darkhorse likes this.
  5. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

As for the height of the seat, it could be about right. It's more important to have it set up correctly for pedaling. When your pedal is at the bottom of the rotation your knee should have the ever so slight bend in it. Not fully locked out, but not still bent at much of an angle. That's the best way to gauge efficiency and improper seat height when pedaling will wear you out fast, and that's why having you riding position correct tends to take precedence over seat height when standing. Plus, I always pop off the seat when I stop. As for building up for stamina I suggest finding a place you can do intervals. A park or greenway where you can do laps or out and backs and rest in between. Biking is one of the best low impact work outs that really leaves the intensity up to you.

Strigidae likes this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

That is a thought I’ll keep an eye out

I’ll look thank you

Interesting although I live in the middle of nowhere.

I will test the pedaling after scouts tonight although it was comfortable where I had it. I have 15 acres so I can ride around and vary my intensity with hills and paths so I think the bike will be good I just have no idea what I’m doing! Lol (although it was like riding a bike lol)

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I’ll have to see if I can get u that way thank you @Bushman5

Bushman5 likes this.