Misadventures, poor decision making and short attention spans..

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by C99c, May 12, 2019.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Figured I'd start one of these catch all threads for fun stuff I do, see and occasionally buy along with my scattered thoughts, abundant sarcasm and sometimes warranted criticisms.

2. C99c

C99c Member

Did a late evening, pre work 5 mile run at a local WMA.
    The junk I carried, minus phone and headlamp.
    20190512_205517.jpg
    Contents of hat:
    -Bic lighter
    -bandana
    -key ring with whistle, small ferro rod and store bonus card thingy wrapped with tape.
    -Surefire EDCL2-T
    -Clinchpik
    -SabreRed OC spray

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

What’s the doohickey thingamagig with the red lanyard? Just be careful not to make this thread all wangjangled or the mods with have a wingdingdoodle....

4. C99c

C99c Member

SabreRed OC spray.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Thanks

C99c likes this.
  6. C99c

C99c Member

You're welcome. I should have labeled the contents of the pic, especially since it was taken after dark on the hood of my car in the middle of nowhere. If I didn't know what the stuff was I wouldn't be able to recognize most of it.
    I'll fix that now.

7. C99c

C99c Member

Evening trail run with wife and kid at a small local state park.
    20190514_181727.jpg 20190514_175026.jpg 20190514_174910.jpg 20190514_173644.jpg

Datilite, JV3, Mike Smith and 4 others like this.
  8. C99c

C99c Member

20190514_184253.jpg

Primitive sites they added several years ago. This was the first time I'd seen them.
    20190514_183409.jpg 20190514_183151.jpg 20190514_183148.jpg

Datilite, JV3, Mike Smith and 3 others like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this is awesome!

I love rec sites like those!

10. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Thanks for posting @C99c

Those old rec sites have some stories

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. C99c

C99c Member

20190607_134219.jpg
    Small gun quick range trip.

1. Don't trust that sites that have always been straight will always be straight. This Shield has been good since these sites were put on several years ago. Now the rear is off just enough to matter. Check your stuff often.

2. These Gen 5 Glocks are definitely an improvement over the older ones accuracy and trigger wise. And the Ameriglo Bold sites offered with them are good. The more I shoot them the more I like the combo.

koolaidnd, Datilite and JV3 like this.
  12. C99c

C99c Member

If you're on the road and have to buy jerky, get this. I've only found it at QT.
    20190608_152523.jpg

IW17 and JV3 like this.
  13. C99c

C99c Member

Evening run. Five miles of mostly sprints.

My favorite sign to see at WMAs and National Forests.
    20190611_205903.jpg
    It means I have the place to myself 99% of the time. No cars, less trash and almost zero percent chance of sketchy people showing up.

Just the locals and I.
    20190611_202021.jpg 20190611_201953.jpg

Nice and easy access ridge running.

20190611_201419.jpg 20190611_200905.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Packrat, Datilite, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  14. C99c

C99c Member

Ran with some new folks today near Chattanooga. 10 mile scenic planned route got thrown out the window and we ended up with a 25ish mile run/swim/walk.

No pics (fortunately I left my phone in the car today and the new group seems more about running than selfies and Instagram, which is way better than the last one I was part of), but some of the best quotes from today are below.

"I've never seen someone actually fall that far down a hill"

"Why can't we cross here, it's just water" - "just water" was the Tennessee River. And yes, we did end up swimming across it.

"It'll be easy to find when we drive back over" - from the two that needed to stash non waterproof stuff under a rock before the swim. Unsurprisingly, it wasn't easy to find.

"That dog looks friendly!" - it wasn't. Rule #1 = cardio.

"That's a lot of blood, my shoe is full." - after someone tried to jump a guard rail. And failed.

"Do I need to call y'all some help. Like a cop or maybe a doctor" - the lady at the drug store watching a bunch of soaking wet weirdos remove a bandage made from gorilla tape and a Buff to replace it with a real bandage.

"This knife looks sharp. Owe, I'm bleeding" - the same person who was bleeding earlier after borrowing a guy's knife to trim some excess bandage off.

"I think my keys are locked in my car." - they were. And it was too nice of a car to go prying on the door while jamming things in it to try and hit the unlock button.

On the way home I hit something in the road that took out two tires. Some nice man sold me a spare off of a junk car in his back yard that would fit to go with my spare. The new to me spare came apart almost exactly in front of a Walmart. Where I spent several hours while they put on four new tires (everything else within towing distance was past closed).

Things I learned today?
    1. I think I'm going to really like the new running group. They may kill me, but I'll die entertained.

2. I may need to find a way to carry more first aid supplies (we used everything I had today and then had to improvise more).

3. Walmart can install tires correctly. It takes them a while and they may leave the torque wrench laying in your car for you to discover on the way home but at least they used a torque wrench.

I think I'll sleep all day tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Moderator Staff Member

Now thats an adventure!!

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  17. C99c

C99c Member

While swapping Happy Father's Day texts today with the only guy in the group older than me (I think he's 43) it was explained that yesterday was sort of an initiation to see what I could handle but only kind of out of the ordinary for one of their runs.

He did say that the twins, one who suggested the river crossing and the other who fell way down a hill, were on better than normal behavior as the "group mom" (who is 12 years my junior and under 30) had warned them not to come off as too crazy.

Anyway, I passed the first run test. I look forward to our next meet. I'm definitely going to have to up my training for this group. Which is never a bad thing.

Half of them have never been to Cohutta. We're going to fix that later this year.

18. C99c

C99c Member

3 mile slow paced run before work.

20190617_202627.jpg
    Trail snacks.
    20190617_195136.jpg 20190617_195131.jpg
    Saw probably a dozen rabbits. This one stayed put long enough for a pic.
    20190617_194048.jpg 20190617_193821.jpg

Strigidae likes this.
  19. C99c

C99c Member

I'm not saying that my new running group is a cult, but if if I mysteriously disappear it may not be @Andy the Aussie's doing.

I'm used to being the only one or one of the few who don't do facebook. This group only has two who do and it's for work. And they tell me that Instagram is for old people now.

On the bright side, I like not having to stop frequently for everyone to take pics, the lack of selfies and a purposeful shortage of evidence of group shenanigans.

Also, I officially started vacation today. It's rare that I take time off around an actual holiday, but it happened this time. I had most of my to do list done by noon today and only like a few things that will be done tomorrow.

Then I'm screwing off the rest of the week.

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Moderator of the Century Staff Member

.............. oooooor maybe it will...who knows....like roulette really....it it YOUR number that I pick today..... :D :D :D

Strigidae likes this.