micro inflatable rafts for packrafting or creek crossing?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

anyone ever used one?

i'm basically looking for an ultralight , highly compressible/packable micro raft, for crossing creeks, rivers, small lakes that are too deep to wade. Something light and tough, not a toy but pro gear.

came across this one locally... https://www.dstactical.com/light-water-dinghy-lwd-blue-orange-r.html

pros / cons? thoughts? recommendations?

2. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Never used one, but I was not expecting it to be that light (35oz)

That's like 1/3rd the weight of a packraft. It doesn't look like there's any room to get a pack in there with you.

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I was more thinking of lying prone on it and hand paddling and kicking. (would be wearing the L.R.R.P.R. webbing)

the raft listed above has a 350 lb capacity.......i'm 190lbs ...ok ok 200lbs :D and my L.R.R.P.R. webbing is under under 12lbs fully loaded

edit: i did find a review on it...its larger than i thought. But wieghs the same as a brick of butter.....

any other tiny packable pack rafts i should look at?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I do not wish to rain on your parade. I give opinion based on kayak experience. I have 5 in my garage ranging from 9.5 ft to 15 ft, hulls are flat, tunnel or keeled. I don't think that's going to work as you think my freind. As shown in their advertisement, sitting style, that is only going to work on mirror smooth water. Any current or eddy will spin you like a top, any side motion or tilt and you're going swimming. That would require a paddle (small break down emergency style) and some form of PFD.
    Lying down, as you suggested, you would look like a skydiver in free fall. Unless you have arms like Gorrila Monsoon (old time wrestler ;) ) I don't think you could reach enough of the water to sustain forward motion. Plus Holding your head high enough to see over the bow tube. I'm just doubtful.
    A trick I used years ago to do almost the same thing you are describing was carrying a 13" car inner tube with valve core removed from stem. I could blow this up with lung power, put the cap on the stem, and lay on it (or sit ) and paddle myself across the neck of a lake or river. I did wear an sort of h-type harness with pouches at the time. ( A hunters tree stand safety harness, leg straps removed and with multiple pouches like a military Alice ILBE harness)
    This tube rolled up was about the size of a 32 oz Naglene bottle. Weight was .75-1lb , I'm totally guessing on that, it's been a few years since then. Also it meant you were going to get wet. In the summer here, not a big deal. I don't know how that would work for you up there. Just humble opinion given.

Edit: After watching the video, it is bigger that first thought. I suspect it would be more upright stable than I originally thought. It would still require the sitting position, and therefore a paddle. My thoughts on prone hand paddling stand. I would also have serious concerns about durability. I've seen pics of your area and there's a lot of clingy pokey stuff. Even with patches it would concern me. (buffer, glue required. I have patched auto and bike tubes)

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea i see your point about body positioning now.......and the need for a paddle. Summers and fall up here the temps can hit over 40 degrees.....winter are cold though......but i dont do any water crossings in winter.....

I like the idea of the tube..........almost like a Seal UDT life vest, but like $5.

I'm almost thinking now that the Sealline ILBE dry bag would be the ticket.......inflate it and hold onto to it like a giant pool noodle...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Get the CO2 cartridge bike tire inflator

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

That's an idea. No handholds though. If you were unconcerned about being wet, perhaps an atv tube? It circular so you could put your arm thru it, or rig some lines for handholds....there got to be a way and without spending 200+ USD.

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i might have found a solution , one that can integrate right ONTO my webbing......if i know i'm heading into multiple creek/river areas, i can throw this overtop of the webbing. Instant buoyancy.

https://www.drybags.com/product/mission-pack/

still, i'm curious about the pack rafts......it would really open my exploring abilities.....esp along the coastline....

anrkst6973 likes this.
  9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So are you just wanting it for packing across a small bit of water or for exploring? Temporary and limited use vs full on boating

10. packmen21

packmen21 Bottom Feeding Spammer

+1
    [​IMG]

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Both creek crossings abd coastline exploring

Need two i guess

12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I guess you would need two. Coastline will need much tougher material than the creek crossing. Is the goal to keep gear dry or just float?

13. JV3

JV3 Member

if you just want something to hang onto and keep you afloat then sounds like a boogie board? can double as a ground pad for insulation...definitely not tacticool though which i think is what you want.

[​IMG]

14. JV3

JV3 Member

i have a sea eagle 2-person inflatable kayak and can vouch for their high quality...they sell boogie boards now too...this one is inflatable so it's packable. https://www.seaeagle.com/WaveSlider/WS4

15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

How much does the Eagle weigh JV? 2nd question: how small will it pack down? I was just looking at those and wondering if they would survive doggie feet? ( even with trimmed toenails he can still scratch holes in hard soil. ;) )

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Just float. My webbing gear can be submerged with no issues.

Would be for floating, etc, needs to be extremely compact (fit into butt pack). I also dont use sleeping pads.

no nothing to do with tacticool....i just demand extremely high quality gear, and so far the after-market military gear co's (Tactical Tailor, HSGI, Direct Action, TYR Tactical, Eberlestock, etcx etc etc ) have been the ONLY ones that build gear to my specs and needs and quality.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    BlueDogScout likes this.
  17. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

For creek crossing an inner tube would be cheap and efficient. Only takes a basketball size to float a soldier and full gear load Mors says.

Michael W. likes this.
  18. JV3

JV3 Member

i haven't used it in almost 10 years so i'll take a look at the garage this weekend. the material is pretty thick from what i can remember...what i definitely remember was forgetting to put sunscreen on and my whole body was burned to a crisp while out fishing one time on a cloudless day. then i decided to try hiking and mountain biking and never used it again.

i might just take it out again...being in the water was a lot of fun from what i can remember.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Think a heavy duty silnylon roll top bag would work? They are only 75 grams.

BlueDogScout likes this.
  20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

What size? They should work for that. One good way to test it