Mega Tinder Roll (M.T.R.)

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you have all seen the little 1" cotton / wax fire starters around (Tinderquik , Sparklite etc). They are all based on cotton dental rolls , soaked in wax. They are 1" long x 3/8" diameter.

They work very well, not denying that. But lets step it up a NOTCH. (by a NOTCH, i mean a good ol TEXAS sized NOTCH! )

presenting Mega Tinder Roll (M.T.R.) 6" long x 1" & 1/4" diameter. 6 METERS x 6" wide of wax soaked cotton roll gauze.

hard to find, most roll gauze is rayon or similar........but you can find 99% - 100% cotton roll gauze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wrapping with braided fishing line to keep the shape during dipping in the wax

[​IMG]

dipping

[​IMG]

flip it over and dip the other side, then lay on wax paper . Rotate frequently to keep the wax from seeping to one side. Once cold its read for use. You can peel off a big piece or slice coins from it.

[​IMG]

wrap it around your fire bundle, wrap individual sticks with it etc. Burns well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

store with some paper book matches in a heavy duty ziploc bag and keep one in your pocket, in the truck, in the pack, stick some in your buddies packs and trucks etc.

:cool:

I did consider calling it The Fire Tampon :D:p....but......Mega Tinder Roll probably better...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Goose

Goose Member

Thats a pretty slick idea! I am gonna have to try it.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

a 1/2" coin sliced off the 6" roll, and unrolled and loosely stacked. (note, the piece i sliced off, still rolled up, is just slightly bigger than a WET-FIRE firestarter,and burns much more violently and hotter and larger flame output) (NOTE: you can cut approx TEN (10) big coins off the roll.......thats a LOT of fire starting flame.....

unrolled:

[​IMG]

background noise is water taps on high, just cuz, you know....safety. That piece of unraveled cotton gauze is about 4" x 4" x 5+" tall when burning. Compare that to the little 1" x 1" x 2" tall flame of Sparklite/quicktinder/wetfire........ ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Dagwood, Slade, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rain test of M.T.R. - using a spray bottle to simulate rain......

Dagwood and Zeek like this.