Made a leather axe cover for a CRKT Chogan Tomahawk

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushcraft_Dave, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I'm a beginner and have really basic tools, lots of jerry-rigging going on over here! lol It's unrefined but it'll get the job done. I plan on investing on more tools and really get into leathercraft, its so relaxing and fun. If you guys have any leather tools you're not using, I'd like to see if we can do some trades?

My next project will be a leather dangler for the GB 6HM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    R Stowe, SEMO, Kaw-liga and 4 others like this.
  2. Mudman

Mudman Member

Nice work. It doesn't take much tools. Next thing I would recommend, is an edge beveler. You could also use sand paper. They don't cost too much and it's a good investment.

Kaw-liga and Bushcraft_Dave like this.
  3. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

That’s next on my list! Thanks for the tips brother!

4. Mudman

Mudman Member

No problem. What tools do you currently have?

It literally doesn't take much, Adventure Sworn showed some cool tips a while back. Where you can use a fork to lay out your stitch pattern, and a nail to make the holes. Let me see what I can dig up for extras, I know I can spare some thread and needles for sure.

Bushcraft_Dave likes this.
  5. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Right now I have a hole puncher that creates huge holes and I have to saddle stitch the whole thing twice to give the stitches tension lol. But I really don’t mind, more quiet time for me! I really like the idea of using a fork for the stitch pattern.

I bought some needles at Hobby lobby but I don’t junk they’re big enough to use the standard wax cotton thread. I used a thin artificial sinew.

And I have a rotary cutter.

If you have any stuff for trade let me know! Thanks again for the tips. I once asked someone for advice and they told me just to go on YouTube!

6. Mudman

Mudman Member

Do you have a drill or dremel of any sort? Something you can try, instead of a hole punch, is using either a small drill bit, or a stitching needle to punch the holes. Then stitch.

Doubling over on saddle stitches is very strong. Although unnecessary in many cases if you use good thread. I got some super strong stuff I'll send your way when I get the chance. After stitching, you can tamp down the threads to tighten things up a little more, and flatten the thread. Anything with a smooth surface will work for this.

If it's the wax cotton thread I'm thinking about, those are made for stitching awls, which normally have a pretty big needle.
    Artificial sinew works good, but I stopped using it after I found out about "tiger thread", it comes in a bunch of colors as well.

For cutting, I like using an exacto knife. I'm pretty good with them, so that's just me. Rotary I've never used before, so I can't comment on that.

Youtube has great stuff. Don't take those kinds of comments the wrong way, for many of the guys it's a repetitive question they see. Some get a little scruffy in their replies, but they mean well.

Armitage Leather and Ian Atkinson have excellent videos. Also check out Nick Wheeler's YT channel. That guy is super meticulous.

7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I have a bunch of speedy stitchers tell me which address you want it sent to. Great work

8. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Good looking work.

Bushcraft_Dave and Strigidae like this.
  9. olderguy

olderguy Member

My stuff is all packed up for a move but when I was into it Tandy Leather was my main source for everything.

10. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I do have a drill, I'll look around to see if I have bits that are small enough to work. I never thought about tamping down the threads, I'm definitely doing to do that.

Those are some awesome channels, sometimes I click on them and plan on skimming through but I end up watching the whole hour long video! lol

Brother you are too awesome! I actually have one of those already but I like going free hand, I’m afraid of impaling my self with the speedy stitcher lol. you’re the man! Thank you

Thanks brother, I appreciate it!

Thanks for checking out my little project! after you move, if you'd be interested in some trades let me know! thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Always looking to help someone out. What do you have I might have extras of stuff to share

12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Very nice. I have the same hawk. I've just been using the little rubber edge cover it came with lol....I've been meaning to try my hand at a kydex sheath for it but haven't gotten to it yet

13. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Kydex is next on the new hobby list lol

Here’s the final product :

upload_2018-7-25_22-54-2.jpeg

SEMO, OutdoorsFamilyMan and IW17 like this.
  14. stickman

stickman Member

That turned out very nice, and inspires me to create something similar!

15. Menace

Menace Member

Nice work. I'm lucky enough to live close to a tandy and I spend way too much money there.

I use the small bit that came with my dremel to stitch my holes. Makes the perfect size

16. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

The Chogan is a great project hawk. I tweaked mine to lighten it up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Bushcraft_Dave and Strigidae like this.