Lowa Renegade GTX Review & Zion National Park

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Bushcraft_Dave, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Hey guys! I went on some epic hikes in Zion National Park in Utah. This video has footage of Angels Landing, probably the most beautiful hike I've ever been on. In the video I review the boots my girlfriend and I wore on our hiking vacation in Utah. Lowas aren't cheap, but they performed well and were very comfortable. It's hard finding women's hiking boots that come in wide sizes, but Lowa offers it. We hiked for days and had no issues.

+Gore-Tex, waterproof and breathable
    +wide sizes
    +stability
    +good traction
    +comfortable

-some people mentioned they don't last long. Through my personal experience, if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. I never leave boots in the car to bake in the hot sun. I clean dirt and mud off them after use because the bud could dry the leather. I pick out the pebbles that get logged in between the lugs on the out sole. Just some real basic stuff and haven't had issues with any quality boots.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    CWB, Patrick Rollins, Dagwood and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

After my Zamberlans had a spectacular failure in New Zealand this year I got back into the boot market for the first time in many years (I had already worn a pair of Zamberlans for a number of years and was very happy with them, the pair that failed was my first spare pair and I had gently broken them in as around twon boots for about 12 months while still wearing my old pair bush PLUS I still had , well have, a NIB pair stored under my bed). I found Lowas - mostly becaus eof the WIDE fitting and went with Rangers. Got them then got sick for a couple of months. Finally got them out bush last month and did about 40km in them over the course of the week. Probably the most comfortable out of the box boots I have ever had. If I get the longevity I will be pleased.

Bushcraft_Dave likes this.
  3. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

@Andy the Aussie New Zealand is on my list of places to backpack. I almost bought some Zamberlans at REI, but went with these because I hike more often than backpack. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Zamberlans and Lowas. I agree with ya on the comfort of Lowas!

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I have loved my Zamberlans for years but the soles on this pair started peeling off 2 hours after we un-assed the helicopter at the start of a 10 day hunt/hike ! Almost unbelievably SUPERGLUE saved the trip !

5. theJman

theJman Member

Man you aren't kidding, that scenery was gorgeous! Seems like quite a nice trip the two of you had.

6. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Thanks brother! I loved it so much. I’m really proud of the gf I really thought she was going to chicken out but she made it to the top! I felt so bad underestimating her, she’s not letting me forget it! Lol

7. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Awesome video! Zion is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

clusterchuck likes this.
  8. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

+1 on Zion. Awesome place once you get in the backcountry some. If I don't get at least a once-a-year slot canyon fix in Zion, I'm pretty hard to live with.

9. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Member

The last time I was in Zion I was wearing the same Lowa boots that I wore yesterday, that was 7 years ago. I've since bought the exact boots in your video, but still favor the old ones by a hair. IMG_6589.jpg

10. CWB

CWB Member

Nice. Can’t wait for our vacation there this summer

11. clusterchuck

clusterchuck Member

The wife and I have been out there the last two summers. Zion is great, but don’t forget to check out Escalante. They have some great hiking around there too.