Long range rifles

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Feb 15, 2018.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I second the recommendation of a torque wrench. As somewhat of an orangutan, I have boogered my share of screws as well as parts loosened from fear of my semian tendencies.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Also witness mark them once torqued so you can see in the field if something has backed off etc.

3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah that sucks, none of those are cheap lol.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah I've done that with all of my optic's screws/bolts.

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I have a small torque wrench I got from a place that is a bicycle supply shop. I can't say thet in/lbs is 100% accurate but in my limited experience you are after both the in/lbs (or close ;) ) and consistency, this seems to give that.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Bcamos like this.
  6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I've got one and love it. Had made swapping my atn x-sight and ACOG on my 16" 5.56 a return to zero affair.

Sites like primary arms put them in sale fairly often.

Zeek likes this.
  7. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

So after some technical difficulties I finally got to shoot my CTR with @Bcamos today. I included a picture of my first group once it was zeroed. 168gr FGMM at 100yds out of a 20” barrel.

C4E14237-BFA6-46F4-BAA9-310E165AF773.jpeg 3D32186F-ED54-48B8-84F1-D3C3094118D5.jpeg

Datilite, Strigidae, STPNWLF and 3 others like this.
  8. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I'd say she likes the 168gr!

ManOfSteel, STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  9. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It’s good enough for me I’d say

STPNWLF, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Member

The CTR is the sheeit... much better than that Rem crap @Bcamos has. :D

The Marsh Gorilla and ManOfSteel like this.
  11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I loaded the mag and he goes “if you shoot a better group than me the first time you’re ever shooting this gun I’m gonna be pissed”. We didn’t even have to walk down range to see it.

STPNWLF, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  12. ny700

ny700 Member

That’s good enough for everything but the highest end bench rest competitions. Nice job

13. ny700

ny700 Member

BCAMOS ....so after playing with the tikka, can you describe the difference in feel of the actions between the savage, Remington and tikka. I’ve got my view but I’m sure others would be curious

14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

From today’s range session with @Bcamos. We set targets at 100, 250, and 550yds (confirmed by my Leupold rangefinder). We were both able to make solid hits at 250 as well as 550. It was a good day for us, took his buddy with the 338 Lapua about 20rds to hit the 550 LOL. He has more pics.

79223559-388F-40A0-957E-7A644B4D2157.jpeg 752FBEE4-7DE6-459C-BEFA-84E2683C8B17.jpeg 67BDE15E-A72F-4C11-92DE-B940E37FA318.jpeg

Datilite, STPNWLF, Ballenxj and 3 others like this.
  15. ny700

ny700 Member

Did you get some data, temp, humidity, bare, altitude, drop, muzzle velocity?

16. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I left my notebook at the house!!!! Dude I was so mad. We didn’t bring the Chrony because we had to do some off-roading to get to the spot and there was nowhere to set it up. We were shooting uphill out of the bed of my truck. I keep the kestrel and the Chrony in the box together so when I went to look for that I was disappointed yet again o_O. Tomorrow or Monday morning we will be at his house shooting again and that’ll be at 250yds so I’ll get some good data.

17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

18. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Here's my impression of each:

R700: It just works. It's not so long that it's a pain to take with me. The action is smooth with minimal play and the factory trigger honestly isn't bad. I'm seeing pretty impressive groups out of a budget rifle with one of the most hated stocks on the market for precision shooting

Savage: It had some nice bells and whistles but there just seemed to be something lacking. I didn't get to shoot any real groups out of it, but I don't doubt that it would have shot well. The action had some slack for sure, especially left to right. I think this is because it was designed to load with a box magazine so they left some play in the bolt to ensure it could grab the round. The 700 had an internal mag so the "wiggle room" was in the mag's lack to any real feed lips. The Accustock was meh. Trigger wasn't really anything to write home about. I wouldn't call it any better than the X Mark Pro

Tikka: It's light, too light. I wouldn't want to shoot that gun all day because of this. The action is...perfect. It doesn't wiggle in any direction, yet somehow, it also doesn't bind. It just smoothly glides along the rails. The trigger is exceptionally awesome. Probably the best factory trigger I've felt out of any gun. Obviously it shoots really well. The gun doesn't even have 100 rounds through it yet and it's shooting less than half MOA with a gorilla behind it. The box mags dropped free which was a nice touch.

19. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I’m not sure if round count makes a difference or not but that first group I shot was about 10rds through the gun in total. I’m hoping it’ll keep this performance up. Right now it has 65rds through it in total.

20. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Now I’m a gorilla? Real nice! I make the guy a freakin 15lb Cajun turducken and get called a gorilla o_O

I also love that the mags not only drop free, but they land on their baseplate and stay standing which was cool.