Light & Fast - Scout LB kit, Gen 1 thru 26

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

You get it in yet ??

2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

3. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

:D:D

5. Intricater

Intricater Member

6. Intricater

Intricater Member

So you've had this rig for awhile, how is it working for you?
    I'm thinking of trying it out if I can find one in a size Small. I have been using a BFG SplitMinus Gen1 chest rig for a few years carrying hunting gear and I like it. I would like to try rigging the BeltMinus below the SplitMinus and attach a poncho & liner as a buttpack with canteens on both sides of it. I think I could eliminate the shoulder straps from the BeltMinus and attach the top of the belt to the bottom of the chest rig.
    Thanks for your pics, very helpful!

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Interesting.... you want to combine your current chest rig with a belt rig?

the BELTMinus has 4 webbing attachment points. 2 on the rear , two on the side / front

you'd probably have to customize your webbing harness straps on your chest rig, but I think it's doable!

Intricater likes this.
  8. Intricater

Intricater Member

The BeltMinus shoulder straps would not be needed. I think the front of the BeltMinus, top of the panel could be attached directly to the front of the SplintMinus, bottom of the panel. The back top of the BeltMinus would be attached directly to molle attachment points of Haley Strategic HSP Flatpack Plus. So it would basically be suspended front and back by the chest rig & backpack. pics below might give a better picture:
    upload_2023-3-27_1-25-3.png upload_2023-3-27_1-25-13.png V1 Front
    upload_2023-3-27_1-25-41.png upload_2023-3-27_1-26-2.png V1 Back
    upload_2023-3-27_1-26-56.png V3
    Advantage would be, as the Chest rig just hangs, the belt rig would allow cinching it tighter to hopefully provide support (Ranger Roll om the belt) to Flatpack which would sit on the roll, like a buttpack.
    upload_2023-3-27_1-32-47.png
    So far I'm very pleased with how it carries. The belt should increase capacity without a lot of top heavy bulk.
    How do you like the padded areas of the belt with a load?

Bushman5 likes this.
  9. Intricater

Intricater Member

Version 3 does look like a more rigid supportive design, but I'm surprised how much that flimsy laminate firms up when you attach some pouches on it.
    Front of the Flatpack looks like this:
    upload_2023-3-27_1-41-52.png
    Those are the shoulder straps used that tie into the clips of the SplitMinus. I looked for the online HowTo guide with the setup illustrated, but it's long gone. The concept is kinda like this, but lower and bigger pack & buttpack.
    upload_2023-3-27_2-13-7.png

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Intricater

Intricater Member

@bushman - How do you like the padded areas of the BeltMinus with your setup now?

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

don't even notice it . I thought I'd really feel the little padded dome dots but I don't

Intricater likes this.
  12. Intricater

Intricater Member

I think the pads and the belt panel with slots instead of the square cutouts that version 1 has, should stiffen the panel and make it less floppy. Problem I have now is they quit making them and I can't find one anywhere yet...

Bushman5 likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yea very hard to find. I lucked out with mine, last Multicam one at BFG and it was on clearance .

They do have a coyote colour one at BFG - but it's for a 40" to 50" size waist

https://www.blueforcegear.com/beltminus-v3

Intricater likes this.
  14. Intricater

Intricater Member

I called up BFG and asked if they were going to run some more, but he said probably not. Bummer! I guess I'll have to patiently wait...
    When did you get yours?? That will give me an idea of how long they've been discontinued.

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. Intricater

Intricater Member

@Bushman5 I see you have Velsys canteen pouches. It appears they use ultra comp laminate like BFG. I see that Velsys is less expensive. Is there a reason you went with Velsys over BFG?

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Velocity Systems were cheaper, bigger, lighter and more durable. And the Velsys fit my SAS MKettle boiler. The BFG do not .

the VS used Ultracomp on the exterior Molle grid, the BFG used heavy thick cordura strap

$90 USD for the BFG , $60 USD for the VelSys

(Although converted to CAD - i took a serious financial beating when I bought over 8 VelSYS canteen pouches - exchange rate plus shipping plus CBSA Customs taxes)

Intricater likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

direct from BFG about a year or so ago

Intricater likes this.
  18. Intricater

Intricater Member

Those are some very good points. I have some pouches with cordura and velcro on the chest rig, but I'm wanting to replace that with helium whisper as it's just better in every respect. I'm looking more closely at the VelSys Jungle line now as I initially thought they were cordura & webbing.
    I was having a hard time justifying the cost of helium whisper (BFG) items until I read your posts about how much your costs are, so now I feel I need to just 'suck it up' and get gear that will actually work instead of heavy gear I know I'll be disappointed with.
    Also, thanks for giving me an idea about when the beltminus was closed out, so that would mean there are still some around that people might sell off.

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. Intricater

Intricater Member

@Bushman5 I've been studying some of your previous setups and maybe you posted this on another post, but I was wondering why you switched from the Direct Action Hydro to VelSys Jungle Canteen Pouches? Was it because of the more rectangular shape of the VelSys instead of round shape of the DA?

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yep - better fit for the USGI canteen & cup.

Intricater likes this.