Last Outing of the Year

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

We had an impromptu outing today. We decided to take a short hike around a small lake at one of the metro parks just out of town. The plan was to stop halfway around the lake and have a little fire so we could make hot chocolate and smores. One thing I've learned about outings with little ones is that they never go as planned lol. My anxiety and OCD would kick in and it would upset me but I learned to just roll with it and be glad for any dirt time I got. It took a long time to get the kids ready so we got there too late for a fire. I brought my backpacking stove just in case. Then I realized I had forgotten the hot cocoa packets and chocolate bars lol. We ended up making tea with some teabags I had stashed in my pack. Thinking we were having a fire I travelled very tool-heavy. Since we didnt have one I messed around with some of the provided firewood. I split some with my hawk, batonned some with my ESEE 5 and made curls and tent stakes with my Becker BK16. I used the Izula to sharpen and debark the roasting sticks. We drank our tea and roasted marshmallows over my stove before packing up and heading home. It wasnt how I wanted it to go but it was outside and away from video games.

Heres a few pics (the 3 smaller kids are mine. The older one is my nephew)

20181230_171807.jpg 20181230_162600.jpg 20181230_161519.jpg 20181230_160851.jpg 20181230_160147.jpg

Datilite, The Warrior, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Awesome looks like a great time!!!!

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

That last photo is sweet!

OutdoorsFamilyMan and Bushman5 like this.
  4. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Any time you can get out it's a good day. Thanks for sharing man, looks like a good time.

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.