Las Vegas Mass Casualty ER Doc's Lesson's Learned

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by RocketmanDane, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I saw this article posted on FB today and thought it was worth sharing for anyone who might have to deal with Mass Casualty incidents in the future. The article is mostly intended for ER doctors BUT anyone involved in emergency medical care IMO could use the info.

This article is from the prospective of an ER doctor who also serves as a SWAT Medic with a Las Vegas area Police.

http://epmonthly.com/article/not-he...ndreds-lives-worst-mass-shooting-u-s-history/

Bushman5 and martin_j001 like this.
  2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Outstanding article. Most people are skilled at something, but applying those skills under "real" stress often results in failure. Many times we create our own negative outcomes by not using common sense under pressure. His "fatal funnel" choke point mitigation probably prevented over a hundred burials that night.

I mentioned this guy in another post because he is not that well known in training circles yet is one of the most knowledgeable instructors that I ever had:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/...dale-carrison-has-a-background-like-no-other/

He is why there are tactical practitioners in Vegas.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Damn good read, and yeah, even if you're not involved in trauma care or patient care at all, some of this article is still extremely relevant. "Mentally rehearse difficult scenarios ahead of time. This can be just as valuable as actual practice. Think through what you will do if/when your current plan of action fails."

RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.