Large Tents

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by artigas, Aug 23, 2017.

1. artigas

artigas Member

What do you you guys use? Been doing some research on 8+ person tents, and I figured I'd present the question to you clowns.

I've seen good things about the REI Kingdom 8, Marmot Limestone 8, Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8, and the Browning Big Horn. I don't want to pay full price on a BA Flying Diamond, but I also don't want to get a cheap tent that won't last a season.

Anyway, any opinions are welcome.

2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

My wife got me (it's really for her) a 10 x 14 quick set up tent for my birthday. It came from Sams ur its pretty nice. She wanted something she could stand up in.
    IMG_4499.JPG
    My buddy is 6'2' I think
    IMG_4498.JPG

Zeek, chorpie and artigas like this.
  3. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

Kodiak canvas 10x14 for me.

4. artigas

artigas Member

That has been highly rated on several sites I've researched. Looks pretty bomb-proof.

5. artigas

artigas Member

Is this a Coleman? Do you feel like the quick set-up is pretty durable? I really like the size on those.

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Saw this thread and thought it'd be the perfect place to bring these up as I have been researching them myself. I have been looking at one of these for getting back into camping now that the munchkin is getting a little older. I'm thinking the floor space should allow for a double mattress for me and the wife, and the munckin's pack and play as well. I've been eyeing the 10x14 VX for the added airflow. Is this pretty easy to set up by yourself?

7. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

Yes, it's heavy, but really easy to set up. Lots of videos online. Be sure to season it when you get it. I got mine shipped free via Amazon prime.

martin_j001 and artigas like this.
  8. olderguy

olderguy Member

I used a Remington tent back on my week long Scout camps. One man set up in a few minutes and had room for my wide cot,foot locker,and chair. Also tall enough to stand in. Great tent I don't know if they're still made.

artigas likes this.
  9. chorpie

chorpie Member

Wal Mart, $100. Got this 7 years ago when my oldest was 1. fits a queen sized mattress, a pack-n-play, and tons of stuff in between! I think it's 7x14
    [​IMG]

Zeek and artigas like this.
  10. artigas

artigas Member

I'm tempted to go this route, knowing that the kids will likely add plenty of wear and tear over the years. As much as I'd like to get a nice(ish) one, I really don't want to get a nice one and have it destroyed by the creatures haha. At the same time, I don't want to get something that will break , leak, or blow over with the first sign of bad weather. Just debating that balance.

11. chorpie

chorpie Member

Yeah, i mean this thing has lasted through two kids and 7-8 years :) My friend lost the fly pole though although it still works.

12. inconel710

inconel710 Member

For what it is, Coleman makes good stuff. It's not going to be 4-season, it's not going to be light, and it's not going to have a stove jack. But it will last if reasonable care is taken with it. I have a Coleman 3 person tent on the shelf that is my loaner/just in case tent. Bought that thing back in 2011, took it backpacking in Colorado a several times and on a bunch of Cub scout camp-outs. Still keeps the rain off.

13. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

We have a big big agnes that will sleep about 6 people (20 or so if Hugh Coffee size) but we've only used it one time.

14. McKROB

McKROB Member

We've got a Eureka Gran Manan Tour for family car camping, it's a six man which is more than big enough for the three of us. I love the screened in vestibule, it's large enough that we can put our camp chairs in and sit inside out of the bugs if we want. We ended up somehow getting a limited edition model that came with aluminum poles vs the standard fibreglass poles, which are definitely better (this had to do with an exchange I made because the one we ordered showed up with their European Camptrails branding and colours which I didn't like, they switched it for me and gave me the upgraded pole set for my troubles).

https://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/442?s=section_4

For work I've got a Porcupine Canvas 12'x14' Jutland Prospector style canvas wall tent. Porcupine Canvas has been in business for a long time building tents (and other gear) for mineral exploration and mining.

http://porcupinecanvas.com/

A Snowtrekker is next on my list!

(not my photos).

IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

15. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Well, the new tent arrived. Got a great deal on a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 Flex Bow VX. Set it up to season and check out. Got a couple trips booked in the coming months. :)

Attached Files:

inconel710 and Zeek like this.
  16. artigas

artigas Member

We ended up getting the Coleman WeatherMaster 10-man. It was priced nicely, and I think it will be great for family camping. I sprayed it with a water guard, and we put it to use over Labor Day. There were 26 people (15 of them being kids under the age of 7) there. It was a great spot, and the tent worked fine. We blew-up an air mattress and used our double sleeping bag. My 3 year-old ended up in our sleeping bag, and eventually our 2 month-old was in there too. I had about 6 inches on the edge, which is par with the course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  17. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

It is not a Coleman, I will get the brand when I gat home. The quick setup seems sturdy enough, we had some pretty good wind when it was set up and it didn't seem to affect it, but only time will tell.

Zeek likes this.