KUIU Founder Dead

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Apparent suicide while hunting with his dad and son????

Wow. I've followed him a lot on youtube from his workout plans, hunting tips, and recent rifle build. Seemed like a very energetic happy person. In tremendous shape. He also helped found Sitka Gear before he separated and started his own company.

Just came back from a hunt last week with Donald Trump, Jr.

A world class hunter with a world class gear company and dead at 46.

They are speculating maybe something in his head related to trauma as a former NFL player.

Get some help if you're struggling guys. I don't care how bad you think you suck, there are people that are better off with you around. Period.

2. Expat

I know none of us know what is in another's head. We all know that by now. But, dang, it's hard to believe that this guy would take his life less than a month after this video was shot....

Strigidae and SEMO like this.
  3. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Trauma, success, alpha, society....who knows? So sad.

Truth is, whatever you are battling can be beaten. Whatever hole you are in can be escaped. Whatever mind game playing can be won.

No one is exempt from dark places. Find someone who will listen to you and get it out. Get it off your shoulders,and get it off your mind by telling someone.
    Don’t buy the lie that no one cares.

4. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

I'm just a stranger on the internet, but I'm more than willing to talk to anyone that needs an ear or needs assistance finding local help. I've dealt with mental illness most of my life, and I know how important it is to get over the "you're a man, suck it up" mentality. Everyone deserves someone to hear them, not just listen to them.

To reiterate what Expat said, don't wait to get help if you're struggling, as a moment of intrusive thought can significantly change or end your own life.

5. Expat

Yeah. Don’t make a decision with permanent consequences based on a temporary feeling.

One of the important truths to hang on to is that feelings lie. They lie like crazy. If you can realize that and maintain that truth in your difficult times, it helps. It is never as dark as it seems. The feeling of “what’s the point?” certainly feels real and palpable, but it’s a lie. You are not as worthless as you feel, there is someone better with you around, there is someone that cares, etc. Amazing how self-destructive our own feelings can be. These lies are the enemies of hope.

And to put it in a survival terms for us weirdos, a person can live 30 days without food, 3 days without water, 3 minutes without air, but only 3 seconds without hope.

shaneadams90 and Strigidae like this.
  6. Expat

Some reports are now saying negligent discharge. I guess a lot of speculation. It’s a remote location and it is supposedly just him, his dad and his very young son.

I sincerely hope he didn’t take his own life.

7. packmen21

packmen21 Bottom Feeding Spammer

+1
    [​IMG]

8. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

Yeah. Such sad news. My buddy Nate owns Kestrel Knives and was a good friend of his. You just never know.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  9. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I've been following this pretty closely since I got back into cell service....Suicide is speculation but I've also heard that it could have been an ND (negligent discharge)....

I'm waiting to hear the details but a lot doesn't add up to suicide just yet for me....either way a father lost a son and a son lost a father.....tragic.

Stay sharp out there people.....

Edit to Add:
    100% agree about how many are struggling and dealing with demons we never see...reach out or reach into a friend that you see is struggling....

480 RUGER, Mtnfolk Mike and Strigidae like this.
  10. Rook52

Rook52 Member

A true visionary in the hunting world. Suicide or not my heart goes out to his family.

Never focus on what you don’t have but rather on what you do have.

Sad to see any one leave this world early, but the hunting community lost a special person. RIP keep chasing those trophies in the sky.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  11. Expat

The company has released an official statement confirming the suicide. But stating that it was done at his home in Dixon, CA.

Just so odd. A guy with such a long term vision and seemingly unending amounts of optimism and a world class athlete who had gotten in even more phenomenal physical shape in the last few months for upcoming hunting season. A gorgeous wife and two young boys that he seemed to love being around every chance he got.

I know we never know what is going through someone’s head but this one is a particular head scratcher.

12. Hammer

Hammer Member

Incredibly sad. I saw him speak at an event a few years back in Boise. Seemed young and full of life.

Noticed there is a statement on the Kuiu home page about donations to CTE-related research. Makes you wonder if there was already suspicion that it might be a factor. Either way, CTE is real and serious.