Knife Pass Around

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Mythical_Beast, Jan 15, 2021.

1. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Is there a final list and a certain order?

Mythical_Beast likes this.
  3. Mythical_Beast

Mythical_Beast Member

I’m sure we can fit you in somewhere.

Drew RedBear and Strigidae like this.
  4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Cool. I thought I was on the list already but didn't see a final one, so I was just curious. Look forward to using it!
    I have a log and a coconut ready for it :p

Mythical_Beast likes this.
  5. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

The one out heres getting used hard so far. Ill have an update from the user and pics to post next week and then onto canadian user #2.

Drew RedBear and Mythical_Beast like this.
  6. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

This knife feels like it's a cross between, ESEE, Buck, and Bark River Knives. It's glorious to carry, and reminds me of an ESEE 4 when worn on a belt. The grind is done exceptionally well. For some reason the hollow grind, satin wash, black handle combo reminds me of a Buck but classier. The black micarta handles have the contours of a Bark River. The ergos are fantastic. I love this knife. 20210426_185744.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    IW17, Skip808, Drew RedBear and 3 others like this.
  7. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Great knife

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    IW17 likes this.
  8. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

This is the way.

Twoody88 likes this.
  9. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

10. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Looks like it's out for delivery :D I feel like I kid in a candy shop waiting to check out lol.

11. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Must be on par with my pal cdn user #3 when i passed it on to him yesterday. Also made him the sweet sill gasket hat (non forum members so ill be updating pics etc on their behalf) 20210506_145011.jpg

12. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Getting some nice patinas and starting to show that loved user look :) 20210506_144508.jpg 20210506_144518.jpg

13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Well I finally got it in hand so initial thoughts. It is smaller than I was thinking but it is very comfortable in hand. The handle could be about a half inch longer, but that's for my big hands. It looks amazingly well made though and I look forward to putting it through the paces. I really can't see it breaking a coconut though, but I'll leave that up to @Skip808 to do. I'll keep you posted.

14. Skip808

Skip808 Member

LOL cutting a coconut doesn’t have to be pure brute force. Like my jiujitsu instructor tells us “use technique not brute force”.

15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It seems you have more experience with coconuts also, me not so much lol. So brute force would be my choice haha.

Twoody88, Mythical_Beast and Skip808 like this.
  16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I was really hoping to get out this weekend to test this out, but due to rain it was a no go and so I was hoping today. Rain again, so I pulled out my trusty TV tray and did a few tests inside.

(I put it on my lansky and gave it a hair popping edge to begin with, to try and give it as much advantage as I could)

First was batoning, and I have to say I was really impressed with how it did for a smaller blade. The wood is the gas station bought, hard ass really dry stuff, and I mean hard. A couple times it had trouble starting but once it got started it went through pretty easy. Then came the feather sticking, and with such hard wood and me being not the best at it, it did pretty damn good at that also. After all that was said and done, I tested the edge and it was still shaving, not quite as good but it held its edge well.
    Next came food prep. It went through the onion like butter, enough said about that.
    Then the pineapple came. It cut the top of really well but trying to find the right angle to peel it with the knife seemed a little off. Being a pineapple though that was understandable and it did really well cutting it up afterwards. It sliced pretty thin when I could keep the angle, but I'm going to chalk that up as my fault since I'm not used to this knife, or a hollow ground for that matter. It definitely held its own with what I put it through today. Hopefully I can make it out this week sometime to test it on more outdoorsy things.
    BTW, this thing throws sparks like no one's business. Hopefully the video will be short enough to post, if not I'll YouTube it. But it's only of the sparks. IMG_20210510_145331179.jpg IMG_20210510_145459601.jpg IMG_20210510_150829434.jpg IMG_20210510_150836218.jpg IMG_20210510_151158142_HDR.jpg IMG_20210510_151229069_HDR.jpg IMG_20210510_151952555.jpg IMG_20210510_152236220.jpg IMG_20210510_152936369.jpg IMG_20210510_152942558.jpg

17. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It's starting to get a pretty cool patina.

18. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

These pictures are amazing!

Mythical_Beast and Drew RedBear like this.
  19. Mythical_Beast

Mythical_Beast Member

Great to see everything is going well but most of all I hope you all are having fun and being safe! As of right now, I’m going not going to add anymore to the list for this pass around. I made a post of this pass around on this forum on my Instagram and Facebook page. First I’m hoping it’ll get more folks on this forum, second I’m hoping to get more people interested in the outdoor knife community and third....show off a little with actual reviews from real people with real world use. Hopefully I’m not breaking any rules.
    Anyhow, continue enjoying it and save the impact abuse for me. I have a 45-70 loaded with a hard cast 405grain bullet waiting.

20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'm absolutely having fun! What's more fun than playing with knives, especially those that aren't yours lol. Seriously though, I love doing these kind of things, I can't get out much so when I can do things, it's very enjoyable. And although the coconut was in the photo, it was not harmed in today's exercises :p