Kelly Kettle????

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by sneakypete, Sep 26, 2016.

1. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I've looked at these, too. I like the simplicity of them with being able to use anything available as fuel. But, I always end up at the same place: They just boil water. That's it. If I have a pot, at least I can cook something in it. In fact, just about any vessel other than this one, I can cook in. This just boils water. Every other jar, pot, bottle, pan, mug, etc. can also boil water but also have other uses.

That's just my thought process when looking at them.

3. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

I know you can cook off the base with the grill insert and can place a pot on top to cook but the kettle always has to have water in it while cooking which may or may not be a issue. I use a lot of freeze dried food and for that purpose it would work well. To have hot water in 2 mins or so with natural fuel is intriguing. I'm torn....

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Loved mine!

Burns anything. The more soot and creosote that builds up in the chimney, the hotter and faster it boils water.

Extremely efficient, wind, rainy, and snow proof.

You can cook on them just fine with the kit, or by hanging a pot 1/2" about the chimney.

5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I agree that freeze dried food is the ideal use for it.

6. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I have one and really like it. It's is fast but you will have to work to get the 2 minute boil time. It's bulky so I think it's best suited to car camping. A super fun toy to have though!!

7. Mudman

Mudman Member

I have one and like it a lot. But as others have said, it's bulky and best suited for car camping or some form of conveyance. Not too heavy either, but bulky bulky bulky.

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Ultimate disaster water purification. Burns anything.

Candles, news paper, wood, sawdust/wax , pinecones, fuel tabs, diesel/sawdust, veggie oil, alcohol, ATF/brake fluid, etc.

I'd like to get two large SS Kellys, one for the truck, one for the house.

You want an experience, burn fatwood in a Kelly kettle. Long thin sticks the length of the chimney :D