Junglas replacement 4 or 6

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Yardman, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Yardman

Yardman Member

I’m thinking of selling my Junglas. For what I use it for, occasional work around my yard, I can get by with a $25 blade from Lowes (unfortunately it turns out, I am not cutting down any jungle in search of illegal drug growing operations).

So I am looking to replace it with either a 4 or 6. Thinking out loud and looking for feedback:

I have a 5 that rides shotgun in my truck. I think it is a cool blade and like having it for emergencies. A sharpened pry bar seems fitting for use in and around an automobile.

I had a 3 and sold it. Never used if for much of anything. I always grab by Original HEST. I like that HEST and beat it up but well. I also have an Izula II with TKC scales that I don’t use much but like the looks of.

The 6 gets rave reviews. Maybe it would fill in a little bit for the Junglas in the clearing of branches and ground cover. Looks like a fitting survival knife for a hike. I would go serrated.

The 4 maybe is better than the 3, because it’s longer and less like the HEST. Then again is the 4 so close to the 3 that I’m going to be peeved that I basically bought back what I just sold.

So what am I trying to accomplish with this change:

I will be getting a small ax someday. I like splitting wood with an ax. Makes more sense than the Junglas to me and I am not likely to be going into the bush where carrying an ax is going to be a lot of weight for limited application.

Leaning more towards a 4 than a 6. But the 6 is so damn acclaimed. I think I would go serrated on the 4 as well. I believe serrations add value without really getting in the way that much.

Is the 6 overkill and I should just keep the Junglas?

Is the 4 too close to the 3 I just got rid of?

Anybody care to give your thoughts…. I know buy one of each. Lets just say that isn't an option.

2. JAD

JAD Member

I have the 6 and the Junglas. Mine are used 95% of the time around my yard and woodpile. If I were to keep only one it would be the 6. I wouldn't own a 4. I'm stepping up from my 3 to a 6 and no in between in the ESEE lineup. I'm filling that gap with a Bushcrafter that only goes out in the woods with me. Go figure. It's just my opinion.

No serrations for me, but that's just me. Most of my 6 use is batoning wood to a size I like to burn in my fire pit. I own a GB Hand Hatchet and I never use it for splitting. But I sure do like it and use it for rough carving and limb removal (trees only). No chopping with my 6. Knives aren't for chopping.

That was quite a ramble to your question.:)

3. Yardman

Yardman Member

4. Yardman

Yardman Member

Thanks. It was a rambling question to begin with. On the ride home I'm thinking the 4 is going to be a duplicate to my sold 3. And you know how when you go on a hike or fishing and get all stuck in crappy thorns..I bet the 6 can deal with that without pulling out the sword from the rock.

JMJ likes this.
  5. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

The 4 is going to feel like the 3, see both below. It's longer but same grip/scales in size. I think you already have what you need covered with the Hest & the 5 but that's just my opinion. The 6 is a great woods knife if that's what you are looking for, if not, the Hest, the 5, and a machete should cover most anything you need from what you've said. With a 4 you are just duplicating having the Hest to me, very similar size, 4's a little longer.

On serrations I'm with @JAD & don't like them at all, a total waste if you keep a knife properly sharpened. From what I've seen and heard it will also hurt resale as most people I know prefer no serrations.

My 2 cents. That said I own all of them in the lineup but just because I wanted to try them all out.

[​IMG]

Elwha, mike and JMJ like this.
  6. Yardman

Yardman Member

Good stuff. Glad I asked. The Junglas is fine. But not getting much use. I hate that. I would hike in the woods by my house with it but I feel like Jason The serial killer walking around with it. I like my 5 but it's really has no brush killing ability. I may skip the serrations. I do like to sharpen and 1095 is reasonable.

GaryMc likes this.
  7. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I have a 6 and a combo edge 4. They fill different roles for me. The 6 is my go to large knife and the combo edge 4 lives in my emergency bag.

I do like the combo edge for cutting rougher materials. It tears through cloth and rope fast. I won't be making fancy wooden gadgets or fine carving during most normal emergencies. The combo edge will do fine for my needs.

GaryMc likes this.
  8. JMJ

JMJ Member

Having the 5, 6 and Junglas I would feel at a disadvantage in thick brush and briars with the 5 or 6 over the Junglas. Now also take into account the forest type I deal with here is probably a good deal thicker than you deal with in the north east. The 6 is a good all around large knife in its own right also. My 2 cents would be hang on to the Junglas, but if you truly feel it's overkill go with the 6. As far as serrations I'll echo the rest that they're not for me. If you work or play where cutting a lot of rope is an occurrence they could be some use.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

The 3 and 4 have handles that will interchange with each other. The 3 is thinner and will make for a better slicer. The 4 is 1/16" thicker and of course an inch longer. This will make for a more robust all around knife. With that being said, the 3 feels much different in the hand than the 4 due to the slight thickness difference.

I used to carry an axe, but I found that a saw cuts down a tree much faster than an ax will. If I need to split, then I'll baton with my Junglas or 1311.

I don't think you'll go wrong with a 6....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
    mike, GaryMc, koolaidnd and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yardman

Yardman Member

Strategy setting up...hang on to the Junglas until I get the next knife. Then sell it. I still want a ax. They look cool stuck in a long in the snow. I got a splitting maul and a junk ax, I want a good ax.

Mr. GaryMc pictures were quite telling.

GaryMc likes this.
  11. Yardman

Yardman Member

Just realized it was easier picking my wife than the next knife to get.

mike and GaryMc like this.
  12. Yardman

Yardman Member

Do you have any pics of the difference Mr. 91Bravo is describing. Thank you.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mike and GaryMc like this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I say esee 4. But i always say esee 4.

mil spec and Dagwood like this.
  15. Slade

Slade Member

Another vote for the 6. I find the 3 and the 4 pretty interchangeable in all aspects. The 6 is renowned because it is a great all around. You will find it completely different than the 5 if you were to get one. Actually, I will send you one to play with if you would like. You can find out what a nice convex plain edge will do for you. All of mine have custom scales on them that are more 3D milled. I can switch them out with stock scales if you would prefer.

I also agree that you should wait to move the Junglas. Ask yourself how long you will own the knife, likely the rest of your life. Then someone else may own it. A beater machete from Lowes will do work, but if you use the junglas often the Junglas will often provide benefit. Also remember that the Junglas is guaranteed for life as long as you don't let it rust. If the yard work is highly abusive, I could see justifying getting the cheap machete just to save maintenance on the Junglas. I can't stand allowing my tools to sit in disrepair because I don't do anything that destructive with them.

If you do decide to get the 4, you will also have to pick between the 4 and the 4HM. That's more a question of your preferences in grip size and shape.
    Let me know about the 6.

Zeek likes this.
  16. Yardman

Yardman Member

Great shot. Thanks. I found a black g10 at knife works is sweet. And realized the 4 is about as long as my dog deal pup that resides as my boat knife.

17. Yardman

Yardman Member

Thanks for the offer very kind of you. I realize the 6 makes some good sense for me. I may take you up on that but will enjoy the adrenaline rush from 'stewing' on it a few more days.

Thanks again.

18. Yardman

Yardman Member

I have noticed that from the forum posts.

Strigidae likes this.
  19. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I am currently without any ESEE blades but have owned the 3, 4, 5, 6 and Junglas as well as Candiru, Izula, and Izula II.

For me as a non-camper, what I with a knife is pretty limited on day hikes. I generally can accomplish anything I need with a Griptilian. I did pick-up a Mora Companion to throw in the pack "just in case" I needed something in a larger and fixed blade but if it wasn't cheap and really lightweight I wouldn't have bothered. I also picked up an Eldris just because they look cool and I wanted to try one out.

IF/when I start camping again I'd likely pick up a 6 to carry in the pack. I already have a folding saw in the pack and have a hatchet but would likely not carry it if I had to carry all my gear to camp. I'd just go with the folding saw and the 6 as Jonny suggested.

The step up from Izula to 3 to 4 are really pretty small and I always found what I could do with one of them I could do with any of them. Using that logic I'd probably just carry the Izula for space/weight savings.

GaryMc likes this.
  20. JAD

JAD Member

@VolGrad -- I can't believe they let you hang around here and not own any ESEE knives.

Now that I think about it, I can't believe they let me hang around here under any circumstance at all.

mike, JMJ and VolGrad like this.