Improvised Gear thread

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by anrkst6973, Sep 13, 2017.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I thought it would be helpful to have a thread for improvised gear. What can you build or rig up to help you get through, or out of a survival situation.

Pic 1: materials collected for a water filter. The coffee filter seen far right is something I carry anyway, but the mil persons who taught this said you could use the tail of your tee shirt, or the top of your sock, to get the same granular filter effect.
    Pic 2: Putting the parts together.
    Pic 3: water from the dogs outdoor bucket going in.
    Pic 4: it works. :)
    Pic 5: boiling will insure sterilization. Beaver fever sucks. Don't believe me? Ask Bushman about the "bad chicken incident"... Bad water will do the same thing.
    Pic 6: and now, it's tea time.
    A further note, The larger rocks, gravel, and bottles could be rinsed and taken with you, giving you an advantage in time and effort spent recreating the filter.

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

please don't remind me of that.......that was some BAD smells that night. :( I burned that sleeping bag , mat and canvas tarp.

good stuff on the filter.....on the old forum I remember I made something similar with alderwood charcoal, wadded up blue shop towels and grass. Worked DAMN FINE.

Zeek likes this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I had a bad case of cryptosporidium when I was 10 or 11, drank some cool clear water from an isolated iron ore bottomed creek....a lesson I never forgot. ;)

4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Pretty cool, nice prefilter