I need a folding saw...

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Colton, Oct 21, 2016.

1. karlkortemeier

karlkortemeier Member

For a small folding saw you can carry in, I'd take a look at a silky. If you are going in by canoe, or car etc. check boreal21. They are expensive, but are made in the Canada, are tough, and pretty light for their size. The blade is also completely enclosed when its folded ( its safe in a pack)

One note about the Silky: they cut on the pull stroke. I have a couple different models. On the longer bladed models be careful when you are cutting. When you push the blade forward, I've bent the blade. The blades are thinner than the Bahco, because they cut on the pull stroke. They are extremely efficient at cutting, so I'm ok with this risk. I've never broken a blade. But it's something to think about if you are out for a long time. The only time I've made this mistake is when I get back to camp, I'm tired, and want to get a bunch of wood cut for my tent stove.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    C99c likes this.
  2. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

The Sven cuts just as good on both the push AND pull strokes!

http://www.eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/silky-vs-sven.1103/

karlkortemeier likes this.
  3. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

I use a Bahco Lapplander and a Silky Pocketboy.. Both great saws for the $$

4. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I use a Laplander and Gomboy. I also have the Fiskars OTF, and a Buck saw. I could find something I don't like in all of them. The buck cuts better than any of them, but the quality isn't as good as Silky's. It stays in my hunting pack for limb removal while climbing trees. If I could have just one, I would go with something in the Silky Line. The Bahcos are over rated IMHO. They are the most finicky of the bunch for me, but they do cut well. I really hate their push button lock.

5. karlkortemeier

karlkortemeier Member

Great review! Sven is a great saw. I don't own one, but I have used a friend's. The boreal21 is similar to the sven, but it has a more rectangular shape. Both are great woods and work tools. I'm in construction, and I also use my boreal21 for trimming tree limbs out of the way.

The blade on the boreal is held on by a c clip. Its the weak link on the saw. Its similar to the sven in this way. I keep a spare taped to the inside of the handle.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. C99c

C99c Member

We have a Sven stashed in my wife's car for unplanned adventures.
    Like when we decide to explore a forest service road that dead ends and find our exit blocked by a fallen tree too large to simply move by hand without cutting.

After that happened I put the Sven in there. It's come in handy a few times.

I wouldn't mind replacing it with something a bit larger that still folds down to a compact size, but really haven't spent much time looking.

7. satori

satori Member

Another vote for sven i love it! Packs super small and works great for what it is.

8. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

9. JV3

JV3 Member

3-season overnighters or day hikes? silky.

deep winter/all night camp fire? bob dustrude quick bucksaw.

10. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

I used to use a folding saw then I got a Sven.

11. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

12. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I like my Bahco I got in a trade. It's seen a lot of use now and while it's not as fast it still cuts well a year and half later. A buddy has a Corona and likes it.