How do you ferro rod?

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Charlie Delta, Apr 6, 2018.

?

How do you use a ferro rod?

1. Push the scraper

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Pull the rod

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Something else entirely

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Ultimate Survival Technologies has two one handed ferro rods, the larger Blastmatch and the smaller Sparkie. I have used both and they both work well. I always carried one of them as a backup. I have the sparkie away and lost the blastmatch. They are great for a backup and easier to use in an emergency situation

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I do like @shaneadams90 said, if it’s Swedish I scrape and if softer I pull the rod.

Zeek, Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

When I first started I was bad about knocking my tinder everywhere. Then someone taught me to pull the rod instead of pushing my scraper (or knife). It was definitely a "lightbulb" moment. I started trying a technique about a year ago of lightly pressing the tip of my rod into my tinder. With my spine I do a series of quick pushes directed at the bundle. It's worked great so far (as long as I concentrate and don't get too crazy with the pushing). It increases the amount of spark thrown into my tinder. But it also puts more miles on my rod and 90° spine. I've also switched from shorter rods (like the LMF) in favor of 4" or 5" rods. I've nearly worn out a 4" rod (3/8" dia) just practicing on the weekends.

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

Enrolled.

Can someone please help me find my classroom? :oops:

It says right here on my class list, Ferro 100.

I know it's here somewhere.

I'll be back after class.

Or sleep, whichever comes first. :confused:

Zeek, Hammer and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I guess it depends. Generally I'll pull the rod while the striker remains stationary. Occasionally I'll hold the rod stationary, usually have the end resting in my tinder bundle, and do small quick continuous push movements to create a constant shower of sparks. Rarely, if ever, do I do a full push of the scraper down the ferro rod though. Honestly though, I don't use ferro rods a ton anymore though. Still always have one with though. :)

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  6. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've changed my vote to "Something else entirely" after going out and making a few feathersticks to light with a ferro rod.

I both push, pull, scrape, and use all three together to effectively light my fire depending on the circumstances presented to me. Whatever needs to be done.

I've burned through half a dozen or so Army size rods over the past 10 years, and in that time, you tend to find what works for you in any given situation.

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.