Homemade Backstop

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Zeek, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Here is mine. This pic is from a few years ago and I had it well set for some guests. It's since grown in size... probably 9ft high now at its peak. Almost exclusively wood from the hurricane we had come through here a few years back.
    tmp_19343-20150920_123008-1357029110.jpg

2. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Are you worried about any ricochets off the wood? Especially with different angles everywhere.

I built this and have added more to it since this picture. It's around 5' tall now.
    [​IMG]

3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Working on ours currently. It will resemble a bigger version of Justin's. Currently we're shooting against a debris pile, but I don't shoot the larger calibers much as I don't want them to go through.

Slade and Zeek like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Initially yes. Like I said, that pic is a year or two old and a unique day for some guests. I've never since had it set like that. I have rearranged some of the wood in more of a horseshoe shape and it's set with either two steel plates in the center or a single paper target in the middle. Also after a couple years the wood seems to allow the bullets to penetrate more so rather than bounce the bullets back at me. Also, I'm out in the woods a couple hundreds yards from the house or any other structures. Wood is definitely not ideal, I like your setup better.

Slade and Bcamos like this.
  5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I'll have to measure mine. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. I wish I could double it, but my tractor FEL can't go as high as I'd like.

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

Damn...another reason for me to buy a tractor. :)

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

@Bcamos how you liking the Kubota? My brother just happens to work for a Kubota dealer.:cool:

8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Absolutely loving it. I need some more weight, tires filled and a ballast box. But otherwise it's a really impressive machine for its size.

Zeek likes this.