Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Kylemeister, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

New antenna day! Crystal clear during all our SAR exercises this evening. Super happy with this little guy.
    Diamond SRH320A
    20210119_201551.jpg

2. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have been considering a Diamond for my FT-60R. I have a little rubber stubby I use for Hamfests and local events so the antenna isn't poking me in the ear constantly when I wear it on my bag.

Justin Bohnett likes this.
  3. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Haha! Those little ear pokes are what drove me to pick up an HPG kit bag.

TerryD likes this.
  4. TerryD

TerryD Member

5. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Nice! I had no idea how tough it is trying to use a ham within a building until last week.

TerryD likes this.
  6. TerryD

TerryD Member

Yeah! Even a 5w HT can cause all kinds of interesting things to happen. I usually ran my VX-5 on low but the little Icom uses 2x AA so I don't have to worry about charging or any of that. Just plop in two batteries and set the frequency.

I usually scan my club's frequency, the hosting club's frequency and their local repeater just to kinda be nosy and catch the announcements.

7. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I added a Diamond SRH77CA to my FT-60R. Definitely a major improvement over the stock antenna.

Justin Bohnett and TerryD like this.
  8. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

It's time for one of my favorite radio events of the year -- 13 Colonies.
    http://www.13colonies.us/

July 1 to July 7. Make a contact with all 13 special 1x1 call signs, get a clean sweep. 3 bonus stations, including a new one this year from France.

Lots of fun to chase the special event stations. SSB, CW, FT4, FT8, RTTY.... whatever the operators sign up for.

If you are new to chasing, try this website & download the app from your app store, play store, whatever it's called.
    https://hamalert.org

You build what's called a "trigger" for things. Start by feeding it all of the 1x1 calls. If you want, you can specify a mode -- I want them all on CW (because my noise floor is entirely too high for SSB). It will pop an alert to the app (or email, or SMS) to notify you when it sees things either on the DX cluster or Reverse Beacon Network (CW).

Justin Bohnett and Strigidae like this.
  9. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Route 66 On The Air is like 13 Colonies, except you get to chase 22 different stations across the original path of Route 66.

The VE at my club is the trustee for W6K, the special event callsign for OKC. The halfway mark for the event was 9/15, and so far we've volunteered 130 hours between 10 operators putting the call out for other operators to chase.

I took one of my Elmers (mentors for you non-hams) to a local train museum, across the street from a historic flour mill and operated for a couple of hours. He's legally blind, and an absolute bad ass at CW (Morse code). He loves working weak stations, and was pulling stations out of the noise that I couldn't even make out. There was enough signal to know there was a station there, but it was too weak for me to copy. Too much time spend around power tools and things that go bang for me I suppose.

I feel more confident than last year's event. It's clear that the support of my two CW Elmers has paid dividends. My requests for fills (W6?) has gone down this year.

Also added an LNR Precision MTR-4B to the stable this week. I'm going to pair it with a Vibroplex ParEndFedz 20/30/40m end fed antenna, and a set of paddles from GM0EUL. I'm planning to make this a fixture in a pack in my work vehicle, since I find myself near a 10-point SOTA summit that could be an easy lunch activation probably once a month.

TerryD and Justin Bohnett like this.