Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Kylemeister, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

Daaang, 10,000 miles!? That's bad ass! I think the wallpaper aspect of it sounds pretty cool. I'll prob give that a whirl. Being able to receive from space is super intense. Sounds like you've been doing this a while! I'll be picking your brain, good sir!

TerryD likes this.
  2. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I got my ticket in 2016. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but I'll do my best to answer questions.

The main thing is to just have fun. There's lots of different cliques -- not just at the club level, but with radio as a whole. Don't let a bad experience with an abrasive turd ruin the hobby for you. I got lucky and found a couple of guys that I get along with really well. They're both CW guys, which is nice because I want to be a better CW operator. Funny thing is, the Morse requirement is what kept me from pursuing a license back in the late 80's.

There's lots of different things you can do. Explore as much, or as little, as you want to.

TerryD and BobbyRatTail like this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

I really enjoy the digital modes but WORKING a pileup during our state QSO party each year is a blast!

Early on I made friends with a contester. He mainly works RTTY but he taught me the ropes of it pretty quickly.

I need to operate more than I do but my wires are on the ground right now. I just haven't had the motivation recently to be active.

I did help start a net on Echolink for Overland Bound. We're about half way through our second year on the air. That's pretty cool too, running a net. Especially where folks can and do check in from all over the world. One of our net controllers is even from Tasmania.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  4. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Pileups can be a lot of fun -- especially if you're the one everybody wants instead of being trapped in the pile.

I've never done RTTY. I've got a couple of contacts on PSK31.

Contests can be a lot of fun. I'm not a big BIC (Butt In Chair) contest guy. I like to have fun and try to work new states & DX usually. Every fall, I do ARRL CW Sweepstakes with my Elmers. I cook breakfast, and sometimes try to check for spots for sections we don't have. We've tried to get a clean sweep but missed it the past two years.

If you are chasing specific things, HamAlert.org is an awesome tool. You build a "trigger", which you can turn off when you're not around the radio. Band, mode, state, etc. If you have more than a handful of things, it can be overly annoying during a contest. But it's a great tool for chasing down specific things.

TerryD and BobbyRatTail like this.