Half Track and other Hinderers

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Black Train, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Black Train

Black Train Member

This is a thread for your experiences and comments related to Hinderer knives. If you have ever owned one, let us know your thoughts.

I will start off with my Half Track. This is the fourth Hinderer that I have owned. Three of them are still around. I traded into this knife a few weeks ago. It has not give me reason to second guess the trade. Whitty has sung the praises of this little knife for a while. He has not led you wrong. The Half Track is the perfect, overbuilt little blade.

Having owned several different styles of CRK, don't get me wrong, great knives. I did not find them to be built to my liking. The Umnumzaan came the closest of any. There have been 2 of those to pass through my hands. Both of those were traded for Hinderer XM-18 3.5s.

The Half Track has many positives for me. The diamond milling on the lock bar scale provides a sure grip versus a smooth titanium scale. The anodizing on this knife is great. The pic in no way does it justice. I have never had the pocket clip of a Hinderer knife dig into the upholstery while clipped to the pocket. Having owned knives ranging in price from $20 to $600, it is nice to have one with absolutely no lock stick. The detent is perfect. None of the Hinderer knives to come through here displayed poor detent.

Blade steel is a consideration when I purchase a knife. The steel is not as important as the reputation of the manufacturer for obtaining a good heat treat. Hinderer knives in S35VN provide a good steel with a good heat treat. The blades take and hold a very good edge. I have read of individuals changing the Teflon washers in Hinderers for phosphor bronze ones. I have not found any legitimate reason to make this change. The knife flips smoothly in any direction using either hand.

The G10 presentation scale is well textured. The grip it provides is a must in a knife of this size. My only gripe is the desire to see Hinderer make different G10 scales that could be used to customize the look of the knife. That is a purely an aesthetic gripe and has nothing to do with the performance of this tool.

Bottom line, Hinderers are knives worthy of the price point. IMHO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KnOeFz and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

Congrats on the Half Track. I love all of mine. They really do make for a great smaller but overbuilt everyday carry!

[​IMG]