Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Trailmaster, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Planning a trip out there this coming October 2017 along with some stops in one of the other parks along the way like Zion or Arches. Will be going with my father, 68. Would like info on weather, nice trails and camping areas- mainly in the Grand Canyon for that time of year. Nice easy trails to do with my father, he's in really good shape for his age, but he is almost 70. So let's hear some gear tips and recommendations along with ideas. As for me I would like to hear some info on more challenging areas to go for myself. Also like to hear about other places to check out along the way from TN. I researched a lot but nothing beats first hand knowledge. Never been anywhere in the Southwestern U.S. Educate me. Thanks in advance

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

If you go to the North Rim you can camp in the national forest before you get to the park entrance without paying for a campsite or having to deal with all the tourists. Wendy and I found that out after we dealt with a full campground at Jacob's Lake. There are some nice spots along the eastern rim of the canyon and you just pull up, get out and camp. If you can, avoid the national park campgrounds. Overcrowded and if you don't have reservations you may not get a spot. Zion is horrible trying to get campsites during peak season but you may be ok in October. Take him on the Angel's Landing hike in Zion. Great hike and he will be able to do it if he takes his time. We've done it a few times and always try to do it every time we go to Zion. Great hike and beautiful. There are plenty others there too that start close to the road and can range from easy to strenuous. If you decide you want to do an easy slot canyon I can hook you up with a couple of guys that know them all and can guide you for a nominal fee. You will get to see some beautiful country that most tourists never see.

Trailmaster likes this.
  3. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Thanks for the great info

4. olderguy

olderguy Member

See if you can slip in Bryce Canyon and Arches-both worth the trip !!!

Trailmaster and Jeff Randall like this.