Going to Washington DC anything I need to know.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by mtngoat, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Ok so I'm taking the family to D.C. In two weeks. I have never been there before anything that is a must to see or place we need to go? I keep hearing I need to have my girls in after dark since I can't carry there.

Thanks for any input.

2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Depending on where you plan on going... Unfortunately you cant exactly carry to much..... A number of places don't allow bags or large purses and most don't allow any food or drinks. SO plan accordingly.... i would recommend a decent but not expensive refillable water bottle. I recommend locatting a few CVS, Convenience stores etc to pick up drink and snacks between locations. Think $ 4 or $5 per soda at touristy places VS $1.25 at a CVS. If easier Fossil hunting interests you i can give you detail on that only a short drive from DC :)

My Favorites:
    Smithsonian Air and Space, Natural History MY FAVORITE! ( There is a Mcdonalds in Air And space for planning purposes)
    WWII Memorial
    Arlington National Cemetery (More Mature Audience)
    Korean Memorial
    Vietnam Memorial
    WWI Memorial

Other places are nice but very touristy....
    Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting pool (Great Photo Oppurtunity)
    White House
    Capital Complex
    Washington monument

mtngoat likes this.
  3. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Plus the US Treasury where they make the cash money and the FBI Building if you like looking at an amazing gun collection.

mtngoat and Zeek like this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Be careful. Have heard some of the people there are dishonest.

Acerpower, Bushman5, mtngoat and 4 others like this.
  5. Boker55

Boker55 Member

Ping pong pizza is supposed to be good.

6. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Just some?

7. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    I had this posted in the other thread you started. So I just copied/pasted it here.

Are you staying in DC or outside of it?
    If staying outside, spend the money on a metro pass. Park on one of the parking garages and ride the metro in. You can catch the Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon, and get close to most of the major sites in DC without walking a mile.
    Definitely don't want to miss the main American History Smithsonian building. The Star Spangled Banner is incredible. The Aerospace Museum was second favorite. Sign up for the free guided tour of the U.S. Capitol building. Once through security there you also have easy access to the Library of Congress.
    If you have kids, take backpack with water and snacks.
    Pocket knives are prohibited in most buildings. It is easy to plant them outside under bushes, mulch, etc. I kept one on my person our entire trip, but had to stash it bf entering each building.
    Best of luck.
    A White House tour would be cool these days.

mtngoat likes this.
  8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Oh so much to share but now sure how to organize it all ....

Carrying - don't even try. Don't even bother with a knife. I asked one of the armed guards at one of the attractions once after watching them deny entry to a young guy with a giant folder. I asked them what the size limit was and she said 3" but I have no idea how widespread that leeway would be granted. I travel to DC several times per year - just went last month and going back this month - and I never bother even taking a knife between air travel, my work environment, and tourist attractions.

Do carry a day pack with you everywhere and keep some basic essentials with you - light rain jacket, sunglasses, bottle of water, snacks, DC map which you can usually pick up from a street dweller (they are free, don't buy one from them as they get them from the stands which are always empty because the homeless try to sell them to tourists), metro map, etc.

Also, if you don't use Uber already go ahead and create an account and load the app on your phone. There are times you will want to catch a ride from one place to another because you are tired or the distance is great and it's cheap to catch an Uber. My rides are usually between $3 and $10 max. The metro is also very easy to use and not expensive, my 11yo loves navigating her way around the city via metro. She loves it as much as the attractions.

I strongly suggest you look online and ask around, make a list of what you want to see, then consult a map and play zone. You will my much more efficient if you divide the city in to zones and work attractions that way. If you are going to be there for say 4 days, divide your list into 4 zones and allow extra time for things you see along the way and want to do. Without knowing your interests it's hard to say what you should see but my favorites in the city are as follows in no particular order;

Major monuments & memorials - Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, WWII, Vietnam, Holocaust (all of these are in same geographic zone)
    White House (same zone as the last line)
    US Capital & Library of Congress (same zone as one another, right behind each other)
    Smithsonians are mostly all along the mall so you can easily hit them in the same day - don't skip the Castle - check ahead of time to see what time they do the guided tour at the Castle and don't miss it - great history of the city and of the Smithsonian well worth the time
    Botanical Gardens - also along the mall so could be done same time as Smiths or same time as the Capital and Lib of Congress
    National Portrait Gallery is cool as well, it's a little ways up from the Mall but easy to walk to
    National Cathedral - you will want to drive or Uber here as it's farther away from the rest of things
    African American Museum just opened last Sept and tickers were by reservations only until ??? Check because I'm not sure if you can just walk in yet. I haven't tried but might this month when I'm back up there.
    Kennedy Center - drive/Uber here but cool to see, great views around the outside

Timing of it all - I would plan to spend at least an hour at each of the outdoor monuments, at least 2 hours at each of the museums. Most everything is self-guided so you can go at your own pace and skip what you want and stay longer for other things. Library of Congress has guided tours ever hour or so and I highly recommend that one too. It's very informative. National Cathedral charges for entry except on Sundays so if you are there on a Sunday I'd recommend attending a service then walking around the place - that's what I did last month. It was awesome and one of the best views of the city from the top.

Outside of the city there are great places too but they will take up a lot of time. I have no idea how long you will be in the area but I do love Arlington, Mount Vernon, and Monticello (Charlottesville, VA).

There are a million "lesser" museums, monuments, and parks that you might have never heard of but I doubt you will be able to squeeze them in in one trip. I go several times per year and try to check off more things each time but still have a list of things to do.

I have some favorite restaurants and happy hours but since you will be traveling with the family they would probably be lost. I do suggest going to Union Market (not Union Station). Union Market is a collection of awesome restaurant kiosks and shops up in the NE part of the city near Noma Gallaudet. It's another drive/Uber place because the short walk from the nearest Metro station is NOT safe. Trust me. The market has awesome food options though - I recommend Cucina Al Volo (best pasta I've ever eaten) and dessert/pastries from kiosk manned by the hot french lady. Can't remember the name of it at the moment as I was too mesmerized. Even my wife said she was hot and the pastries were do die for. You can also get some great beers to drink while you walk around and look at everything.

If you have specific questions or want to ask about areas or places send me a PM. We can chat by PM or phone.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    mtngoat likes this.
  9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Some side notes/after thoughts -

I don't believe in the practice of stashing a knife outside a building each time. One - I'd forget it. Two - someone else (like a kid) might find it and harm themselves.

Metro - you can by a fare card (looks like a credit card or ID) from the machine and load money to it as needed. Do this the first time you ride the metro and you can continue to use the card for your whole trip. There are signs at all the stations which show the fare from point A to B so you don't have to guess. I just load $20 the first day and load more as needed. Once the trip is winding down I start watching the balance (shows each time you check in/out of a station) so I don't carryover a huge balance. If you have fare left on your cards when you leave pay it forward - send them to me (lol) or give them to a lost looking tourist trying to figure out the machines - they are everywhere. Like some suggested - do park somewhere and metro/walk/Uber around. It's not worth trying to navigate locations & traffic or deal with parking. You will hate it. Trust me.

I have stayed in Old Town Alexandria a lot and it's an easy ride in but takes half hour. I now stay in the city just for convenience. Deals can be found for hotels if you are GOOGLE good. If not stay outside the city and ride in.

Ohhh - Holocaust museum is VERY moving, even for kids. It's right across from my building (South Building of USDA).

mtngoat likes this.
  10. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Keeping the family in after dark - depends where you are. I have had my 13yo out after dark plenty but there are certain areas I wouldn't feel safe. Just don't go there. If you are still walking around the major centers for attractions you will be fine even after dark. I walk alone PLENTY after dark and have rarely felt unsafe. Granted, I have prob had a few drinks during happy hour/dinner so take that for what it's worth.

S.Keyes and mtngoat like this.
  11. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Thanks for the information. We are headed there in a couple weeks as well. Driving. Already have Hotel reservations.
    We have a Nephew who is Clerking for Chief Justice Kennedy. Getting to sit in on a Case and getting a behind the scenes tour of the Supreme Court. Gorsuch should be approved by then.

S.Keyes likes this.
  12. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Folks, thanks for at the great info.
    We will be staying in DC(downtown). We plan to hit Arlington on the way in since we can't check in until after 3. We plan to park at the hotel and either walk or take the metro.

I have read that lots of places (no specific place listed)don't allow backpacks, if I have my bag of water and snacks do they have places to put them or am I out of luck?

13. inconel710

inconel710 Member

Backpacks aren't a huge problem in DC. I've never run into a place where my HPG Tara was an issue. They'll xray it or inspect it.

On knives - Federal law says anything under 2.5inches isn't a weapon, but you'll still run into idiots that don't know better, so don't bother. I've had no problems (yet) with multitools in my backpack. Even at the Pentagon where I had a SAK Farmer confiscated and a written warning issued. o_O

mtngoat likes this.
  14. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I e always had a backpack and never ever had an issue. Everyone in DC is carrying a bag of some sort.

mtngoat likes this.