Going to New York in April!!!!!!! Help

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by mtngoat, Jan 9, 2018.

1. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

ok so we are taking the little one to NYC for spring break this year, last year was DC. So I am as hillbilly as they get a big cities scare the crap out of me. So what do I need to know about New York.

I already know that I am carrying a SAK hiker for the kinfe and a streamlight protac 1aaa for light and a camelback Hawg as the bag. I can’t carry a piece in NY right?

What to do beside the standard 911 memorial and Statue of Liberty?

Any help on gear, safety, and fun things to do will help.

If anyone is in NYC hit me up for a meet up.

Thanks in advanced.

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Carry your Glock 19 with at least 4 mags, a switchblade knife in every pocket, bear spray, taser and a couple of hang grenades just in case. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, take the kids to visit Mike in Blaine Tennessee instead.

ASH, SC864, Kaw-liga and 5 others like this.
  3. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

We’ll be in TN in July, I’ll take them then.

4. Jeff Randall

No need to let him know you're coming. Just show up with the whole family. He has plenty of bedrooms and food. Stay at least a week because you will hurt his feelings if you just pop in and out.

Kevin, otis, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  5. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I carried a candiru in NYC, since it was fixed blade and under 4". I'll say this though, don't plan on going into any tourist areas with any type of knife.

Empire State building, Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry, 9/11 Memorial, any of the museums I went into, etc. Every one of these locations checked for knives, and would turn you around if you had one. I will say that the empire state building offered to hold onto the knife for me instead of just saying I couldn't bring it in. Most locations did not offer that though.

If I went back, I would leave the knife in the hotel. To me, it's not worth the hassle. If you do plan to carry, I'd make it a cheapo that you don't mind hiding and hoping to get back.

mtngoat likes this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

I usually eat my way around the city. :D

Start at the south end near the 911 memorial and walk north all the way to Central Park. You can hit everything from Little Italy, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, the Zoo, and Meuseum of Natural History...

I've stayed at the Watson Hotel at 440 W. 57th street several times. I believe is was a Holiday Inn not so long ago. It's up by Columbus Circle.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Kaw-liga likes this.
  7. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Ideal gear list if your planning on visiting the UK too.

8. junglebum

junglebum Member

Ok so let me start by saying I’m NYPD but I work I. Brooklyn not Manhattan so unlike the Manhattan Marines we don’t break balls about knives. So no you can’t carry a blaster unless your LEO. I would carry a Cheapo knife you don’t mind losing or ditching. Carry your wallet and money in your front pocket . Don’t walk and look at your phone sure way to get robbed. STAY OUT OF THE BRONX!!! If you need a taxi from the airport have the airport staff get it for you. Theee will be a taxi stand when you exit. Break your cash into 2 bundles big. BIlls and pocket cash one in each pocket. The water taxi is the best value in the city for the price of a subway ride you can see the entire city from the water. Best Pizza is Grimaldi’s by the Brooklyn bridge. Best beer is Mcsorely’s they make there own beer and have since 1850 or so they have the original newspaper on the wall from when Lincoln was assasinated. Fraunces Tavern is a great piece of living history get there early so you can see the museum and then eat do a little research about the place most American and Patriotic place in NYC. The MET museum and the Natural History museum are a must and you can explore Central Park before and after as the Museums are essentially in the park. The Central Park zoo is a joke don’t go. NYC is windy and cold so dress accordingly and often slushy as heck. Wiggle any ATM slot you put your card in there are skimmers everywhere and always cover the keypad when you type in your pin. If you get in any trouble or have an issue or need advice PM me I’m happy to give you my phone number so you can give me a call. Also contrary to popular belief the NYPD is very helpful and friendly if you need directions ask a cop not some dirtbag on the street. Also there are homeless everywhere some can be a aggressive just ignore them and keep walking most of them are scammers anyway.

Creaky Bones, BigJake, ny700 and 14 others like this.
  9. Jeff Randall

Good advice right there.

10. pete1p

pete1p Member

I second all this. Living in NJ and working both in Manhattan and Brooklyn I have one exception the pizza, spumoni gardens is the best in my opinion. On the topic of carrying a knife I never do in NYC it can be risky and most places have metal detectors. If you choose to and you are questioned they will ask why and "self defense" is always the wrong answer.

mtngoat and Zeek like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... for brevity I don't quote the lot but this is all good advice. I have spent the sum total of one week in NYC and, as big cities went it was pretty good. If Grimaldi's is the best pizza in NY (I was told that by the people I went there with as well :p ) then I feel for you all !! I can't say I never felt too far on edge getting around (though I am not your average tourist either I guess) and generally enjoyed the experience. Even Rikers Island look nice enough ;) On more than one occasion I approached Police for directions or advice and was not shot, beaten, violated in any way and always sent off on the right path (must be the charming Austrian accent).

mtngoat, ASH and Zeek like this.
  12. junglebum

junglebum Member

Eat spumonis all the time they Hook it up for cops but I would rather pay for good pizza, the only good Grimaldi’s is under the Brooklyn bridge, if your uptown you can go to Coronet they make a good slice as well it’s about the size of 3 regular size slices. Like I said a couple ditch knives are ok. Wouldn’t worry about the guys working the metal detectors questioning you about your knife they aren’t cops and have 0 authority. If your real nervous about it I would carry an opinel 7 or 8 no grey area with that and at like $5 a piece of you gotta ditch it then no harm. Only the real tourist attractions will check you for weapons. When I was a civilian I used to just hide em in the bushes and what not and come back and grab em. Oh when you ride the subway stand or sit at the ends the perps usually work the middle I always put my back to the doors at the end of the cars.

mtngoat, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  13. ny700

ny700 Member

Great advise by junglebum. I grew up in NY. Wasn’t until college I realized people carried their wallets in their back pocket. If your really worried about a pick pocket put a rubber band around your wallet the friction makes it harder to grab.

Don’t flash cash. As he said small bills on one side larger on the other. Your going to tip more often then you may be use to. You don’t want to pull out a wad of hundreds so have singles on hand.

When I took my college girlfriend back to the NYC the population density freaked her out. More so than Chicago or Boston or DC there are just a lot of people rubbing shoulders. When you cross a street there are times of the day it’s going to look like a scene from braveheart with 60 people on one side and 60 on the other and they are all passing each other. If this freaks you out just stay calm and keep your famility close.

Tourists are easy to spot. They look up while they walk or when they stop. Locals will look through you like your not there. This is one reason NY’rs get classified as rude. It’s not true! But if you turned and smiled and said HI to everyone you passed on a street you literally wouldn’t make it a block.

Have fun cause there is a lot of fun to be had.
    When your ready to relax and get a snack this is one of my favorite places
    https://venierospastry.com/
    Old school pastry shop. Get a cannoli!
    If you don’t like cream and sugar in your coffee make it known. The default is light and sweet (probably to offset the natural N.Y. bitterness. ;-) ). If you do like your coffee that way then your golden just order a coffee regular. This does not go for Starbucks. Starbucks is starbucks

If your used to mustard in your burger your going to have to ask for it. Even McDonald’s makes burgers a little different without mustard in NY

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  14. junglebum

junglebum Member

NY700 knows his stuff Venieros is awesome their Gelato is the best and their cannoli is Da’ Best and Mustard is only for hot dogs and pretzels

15. pete1p

pete1p Member

Spumoni for the win.
    https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/01/16/grimaldis-shut-down/amp/

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. ny700

ny700 Member

The Marsh Gorilla and IW17 like this.
  17. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I can relate as a country bumpkin myself. No issues for me in NYC just seems like people are always in your personal space. Much safer than NOLA or Memphis in my experience.

While there, go to the Saint Vitus Bar wearing a Bon Jovi shirt and report back.

The Marsh Gorilla and mtngoat like this.
  18. junglebum

junglebum Member

19. james gormley

james gormley Member

Dumbo is for hipsters and yuppies anyways

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Hahaha hahaha