GF wants to do a 14er

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Kevo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Kevo

Kevo Member

Ladies and gents, I need some advice.

My girlfriend's sister lives in Colorado, and on our next planned summer trip has scheduled a hike up a 14er. My gf has really latched onto the idea, but I'm really skeptical of going for it. We both have some day hiking experience, and are both GSAR volunteers, but I'm not sure if this is something we can tackle.

Neither of us have any altitude experience. I have gear but she doesn't, aside from our sar reqs. So what I'm hoping for is some advice, packing ideas, and just general help to make sure this is as safe as possible.

The mountain itself is local to her sister, and they have hit the summit a couple of time on day trips with little more than some bottles of water and a coat. It is non-technical and supposedly well carved. Am I over-thinking the situation?

2. junglebum

junglebum Member

Saw the title of this post real quick and totally thought you were talking about something else....

Michael W., IW17, Zeek and 4 others like this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

I don't have the stamina for that

4. olderguy

olderguy Member

Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park is a good 14er for a non-technical climb, This time of year with fall approaching can get iffy with weather though. Common sense gear and a pack would be the only requirements needed.

Kevo and Zeek like this.
  5. Kevo

Kevo Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are planning to try and get out in April, so I'll be expecting to need my rain gear.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. RatBeetle

RatBeetle Member

Having done Longs myself, I don't recommend it for a first 14er. Be prepared for a long day on the mountain...especially if you're not used to altitude.

I started at 230am so I could beat the crowds. Hit the summit by 730am and back to the car by noonish.

I don't know your physical condition but if you're in decent shape a 14er is certainly doable. I just think there are much better choices for a first timer than longs.

Feel free to pm me if you want some suggestions.

Strigidae, Kevo and Bushman5 like this.
  7. RatBeetle

RatBeetle Member

And if coming in April, you could still find youself in deep snow conditions above treeline. Certainly doable, but floatation and micro spikes will probably be needed.

Is Longs the planned mountain?

Strigidae and Kevo like this.
  8. Kevo

Kevo Member

@RatBeetle this is fentastic info. The planned mountain is Bierstadt.

Health wise, I'd put both of us in the fit category if not for a couple extra pounds lol. Generally in the gym 4 days a week and frequent day hikes. This is all in IL though, so who knows what the altitude will do to me.

9. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

As already mentioned, start really early and get off as soon as you can due to storms and lightning.

Kevo likes this.
  10. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

You are not going to do any 14,000' peak in Colorado in April. They are still covered in several feet of snow. If you do it later in the year Uncompaghre Peak would be a solid choice for a first one

Kevo likes this.
  11. RatBeetle

RatBeetle Member

Bierstadt is a solid choice for a first 14er. The west slopes route from Guanella Pass is an "easy" class 2 walk-up. Of course, winter conditions can change make any easy 14er treacherous...and April can certainly mean winter conditions. Snowshoes, warm clothing and avalanche awareness are musts.

As for not being able to climb any 14er in April, I don't necessarily agree with that. Yes, there will be snow in April...probably a bunch. But people climb 14ers all winter long out here. There is just a different set of circumstances to plan for and go into it knowing that consequences of mistakes in winter conditions are much more serious.

I suggest going over to 14ers.com and reading up on routes and older trip reports from the months that you're thinking about coming out to give you an idea of what to expect. If you can come out later in the summer, the highcountry hiking will be much better though.

Kevo likes this.
  12. Kevo

Kevo Member

You guys are awesome! The time frame isn't set in stone yet, just the mountain.

13. RatBeetle

RatBeetle Member

Happy to help.

I'm by no means an expert, but I've done my share of 14ers. I took this picture of a couple mountain goats on the Sawtooth between Bierstadt and Evans .

For reference, this was early October .

Attached Files:

Strigidae and Kevo like this.