Frozen Jambalaya Last Snow Trip

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by bearthedog, Feb 23, 2017.

1. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Last snow of the winter, so it seems. Although cold temperatures are still looming, the snow is just about all gone, except for some odd patches. Last week looked like a full-on winter wonderland, while today it’s but a memory.

[​IMG]

The worst part is the ice that forms after a few days…making me feel like Bambi on ice, yet less graceful…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like a log-cabin style fire lay when the ground is damp. It competes less with the moisture and cold ground by putting the kindling and fuel above the dampness. It can also be used as a quick way of boiling water while a coal base is being developed.

[​IMG]

Around my camp space, the slick ice needed to be broken up enough so I wouldn’t slip…I used my small hatchet I keep all year around at the camp.

[​IMG]

Jambalaya was on the menu…

[​IMG]

While the food cooked, I tried to adjust my tarp from the stretching it suffered after a heavy snow, but the lines were just too frozen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food…as it should be done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finnish Trio

[​IMG]

Snow can be used to scrub utensils…

[​IMG]

Once the fire have died down and the coals utilized, it was easy to have a small fire off to one side and cook bacon and sausages over the coals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peruvian Alpaca Wool head wrap. Hat and scarf in one…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-RB

TangoDelta59, Theodore, C99c and 7 others like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You eat fantastic in the woods!!! I need one of you when i go camp.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Jambalaya is one of my favourite dishes..!!! Introduced to it by friends in the US. When I was last in NO I think I had it (from different places) at least once a day !!

Snow is nice, but not so much ice...!! Still anytime in the outdoors beats the daily grind !!

4. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Goor meal...congrats. Here we used to do a different kind but the basis are the same.

5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Jambalaya is the best, a version is on every menu down here. Question? Why do you not use a walking staff? There's got to be a hundred straight poles all around you. Turns you from a tippy bi-ped to stable tri-ped on slopes, muddy or icy terrain. (Quote paraphrased from Colin Fletcher)

6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

How do you stash your tools at camp? I'd like to cache some tools and cook pot at my favorite fishing spot and need ideas.

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

I use a log and a big pile of leaves over the top. In winter, I use a large garbage bag to put knives or cooking stuff in, then leaves, snow and sticks.

-RB