Friction Folder Design Advice

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Nordac, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Nordac

Nordac Member

Hey guys been about a year since I've been on. Anyways I'm in the process of designing a friction folder and I was wondering if you guys had any input or advice on things like backspacers pivot hardwear and the such. I'm going to be using naval brass for the scales and CPM 20CV for the blade. Ill post pics in a little bit if anyone is interested but was looking mostly for advice since ive never designed a knife to begin with let alone a folder. Thanks all and its great to be back

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Decide on how you want to keep the edge from contacting anything it shouldn't when closed. Higonokami knives, for instance, can touch the back of the handle when shut, and while that's not awful for the edge on the brass ones (though not ideal) it's not good with the steel-handled ones at all. The fix for that is using some non-marring pliers to bend the frame closed until it pinches the bevel shoulder near the tip, much like how a straight razor rests when closed. Other friction folders, like the Svord Peasant Knife, use a stop pin instead.

3. Nordac

Nordac Member

Right on man. I plan using a stop pin it's going to be a very impractical folder. I mean stupid impractical. Pocket cleaver gonna weigh a ton. Hahaha I'll post the cad file when I get it done. Right now I just have a sketch 20170212_151844.jpg

4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

One point of consideration is that the blade being so large might cause it to try "falling" closed, so you may want to add a tang to it long enough to counteract any such predisposition.

5. Nordac

Nordac Member

Yep yep there is going to be a long tang on it to help balance it and help keep it open

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  6. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

A new knife with interesting possibilities as to design and composition, of course nobody on this forum would be interested. lol

You know the drill. Pics are a necessity. Please? ;):rolleyes::p:D

Nordac likes this.
  7. Nordac

Nordac Member

Indeed! I'm going to be trying to make one in the next month or so. My buddy has a shop I can use to build it. I am in the process of making a more conventional one. I'm digging a reverse tanto style or a Masamune hochogata style traditional tanto

8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Let us see what you've got! If you're interested, I've always had what I thought was a good idea to actually help keep these things in the open position. Shoot me a PM. Might be a better idea than adding a super long heavy tang to it.

Nordac likes this.
  9. Nordac

Nordac Member

I've gone back and forth on this. I can't decide if I want to or not. The materials that I want to make it out of are expensive and it will be stupid heavy. So I don't know what I will do. I just really want a brass knife since I play trombone, so I might just get flytanium brass scales for a PM2

10. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

No way, make it yourself. Even if it only turns out half assed, you still know that YOU made it.

Nordac likes this.
  11. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Use thinner brass.
    Use thicker brass and drill out divots on the inside for weight reduction.
    Use brass and drill holes like you would see in a 1980's butterfly knife.
    Use brass and cut channels in it for brass reduction.

Definitely do it yourself, and if you envision it in brass, use brass.

Weight will be secondary to the fact that you made it.

AddictedToSteel and Nordac like this.
  12. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Like a lot of things, getting the first one done can take a while. After that, tweaks and modifications can come fast. Remember when you learned to whistle? Seemed to take forever to get that first weak little tweet, but once you got it you were actually whistling a tune in pretty short order.

Even something as complex as an airplane seems to follow this path. Wright brothers first flew in 1903, yet just a short 15 years later planes were an important part of the war effort in WW I.

Looking forward to seeing your blade, the first of many.

13. Nordac

Nordac Member

Agreed. I will see what I can do. My buddy owns Mummert Knives with is a pure titanium knife brand so I have knowledge there it's just the process.
    Just like learing a musical instrument...such a long time and never where you want it to be